probiotics

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Feb 23, 2008.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

When deworming or giving antibiotics I know to give probiotics (either probios, kefir or active yogurt cultures). What I haven't figured out is WHEN to give them? At the same time? Later? When? Looking forward to answers!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Just remember the new info. Fast Track, Probios etc...are for intestines, not for the rumen. Both only contain one bacteria, the yogurt bacteria acidopholus that is found in rumen bacteria. And yogurt only contains acidopholus. So to me kefir is the answer, it not only contains real colonies of bacteria but lots and lots of them. I give probiotics to infants with single stomachs.....then start kefir in pasteurised milk in the lambar. And now use kefir in pasteurised milk to my adults, about 10cc orally with worming, when sick, when getting anything done to them really. Vicki

3. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

So, you are giving kefir WITH dewormer or any antibiotic treatment...as in at the same time, in conjunction with, not neccessarily mixed together. Correct?

4. LMonty

LMonty New Member

I do it like we recommend in people- give it daily while getting anitbiotics- but since each time you give antiobiotics, it kills it off again- then give after the antibiotics are out of their system, usually at least a day or two. Better too much than too little, its not going to hurt if you give it longer than neccesary.