Price per bar

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by [email protected], Oct 29, 2008.

1. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

I know I have a lot of questions...today we sat down with my typical soap recipe. I enlarged it so it would be between 6 and 7 pounds. It gives me about 24 -4 oz bars.

price per pound + shipping
    Almond: 11 oz 2.93
    cocoa butter: 11 oz 6.98
    coconut: 28 oz 2.65
    palm: 21 oz 3.46
    soybean oil: 11 oz .94
    sunflower oil: 18 2.24 total: 19.19$

Then I added milk : 4.50
    scent: 2.00
    shrink bag 2.40
    label??
    Total batch price: 28.09 or 1.17 per bar

Obviously, a couple things stand out to me. Like I'm using too much expensive cocoa butter. My oil prices are not the absolute cheapest I could find, I just went with Columbus food and added the shipping costs into it. Later on, I hope to find some local sources for oils so I don't have to pay the shipping prices.

As near as I can tell, that would be the raw material cost of making this batch. Did I miss any calculations?

2. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

your labor, electric, lye, and if your adding GM how much are you charging yourself for that? These are just some things that was brought to my attention when I starting calculating price per bar. Tammy

3. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

How do you calculate labor, and electric? I remembered two things I didn't add. The honey and the lye. I'll go find those numbers...I know my lye is going to be expensive. I use the two pound cans instead of a bulk bag because of my kids. Still have the box I got three years ago....

4. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

The electric and labor is I found particularly hard to calculate. The electric is especially hard. I am still having an issue with this one. I charged my self $7.00 an hour for labor on each batch. The goats charge $8.00 a gallon, same as a donation. Others may have better advice for you. Tammy

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You have to get your price of oil down, what does the other more expensive oils do for your bar your less expensive oils don't? Your cocoa butter could be purchased much cheaper in bulk. There is a formula for kilowat hours, so sit and time yourself how long does it take you to make that batch of soap, cut the batch of soap the next day and wrap that batch of soap in a couple of weeks? Don't forget your time for ordering products etc. Your end bar prices are similar to my wrapped bar prices, of my heavy shea most expensive bars, during the summer. Except my bars are all over 6 ounces.

Lining material, spray pam, colorings for your soap, oatmeal, clays and mica's, molds, printer ink.....for myself until I paid a young woman with a business degree to do my books for me, I had no real idea of all this, I was just guessing, thankfully I guessed high. I do write down the costs per bar on all my scents as I buy them. Vicki

6. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

I know I need to reduce the amount of cocoa butter in the recipe. Used at this rate it makes a very hard bar, that is also moisturizing. I bet palm could do the same thing...This is actually my favorite recipe, the one I like to do for myself, but I can see that it is not going to work to sell it, (as is.)

Vicki, do you buy drums of oils?

I was talking with another just starting soaper and she said she found a cheap local source for coconut oil. It was 35 for 50 lbs. That was in Eagen, MN (1hr 25 away from me.) Then she said there was another source of palm oil in St Paul (1 hour and 15 minutes away.)

Well, that got me thinking about traveling prices verses shipping prices. Do you find that traveling to get your ingredients is worth it, or is having it shipped to your door better?

It looks like it is going to make me a while to get an accurate estimate of how much the bars actually cost. Thank you for your help and advice ladies. I appreciate it- quite a lot!

7. Kalne

Kalne New Member

If I could combine the trip with something else I needed/wanted to do I would travel that. If not then compare what the cost of gas would be to what the shipping would be. $35 for 50 pounds of CO sounds great! I haven't been able to find a local source for anything I use. Oh, except for lye.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I get 35 pound drums. I don't have a loading dock I can use, so I can't get 55 pound drums here. I found a Houston ship channel source of shea for in my soap (I still buy smaller amounts via coops for lotions etc...and to sell raw) and just recently in Houston found a resturant supply for vietnameze where I can get palm and coconut oil much cheaper than shipping from columbus foods. I will be picking them up next weekend to try. I am always on the lookout for cheaper oils and butters...I still get my sunflower local, it's also cheaper than columbus foods. I am getting a quote from Mike on getting 33 gallon drums of mixed oils. Vicki