"Premie" full term kids?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ozark_jewels, Feb 14, 2008.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I had a couple of doelings, sisters, born last Sunday. They are Nubian and were born on day 149 in her gestation, so full term. Their teeth were not erupted yet from the gums. They ate ok, but slept *all* the time for the first 3 days. Actually scared me a bit. Day four they started playing and acting like kids.
    Never seen that in full term kids before. :?
    They are out of one of my homegrown does(three year old third freshener), and an outside buck.

2. Had a ff nubian doe give birth to twin does (week ago yesterday) One was itty bitty and still born. Peggy Sue (as my daughter has been calling her) was normal sized (on the low end of our usual kid sizes) BUT... none of her teeth were thru the gums yet! Mom gave birth on day 150. (hand bred, no other possible due dates) The dead baby was fully formed, but she too was toothless. It too the live sister a couple days to KICK IN.. she just sipped on her bottle and slept. She is now growing like a weed, leaping about.. in the kitchen baby pen alone.... she wants attention and to play, so we've been running and playing with her.. She is still way to small to be put in with the BIG Jan kids. Have a doe due on Saturday.. I'll be happy when Peggy has someone other then us to entertain her. ..... but like Emily... I've never seen full term DOE kids without their teeth erupted... (I've gotten where I check mouths as they are being born... I can usually tell buck or doe, by just how much tooth they have! The little doelings usually always have full teeth, where lots of times the bucklings are just coming thru...
    susie, mo ozarks

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I've noticed with Nubians, that some of them are slower than the other breeds to bounce and play. Also, some do not have their teeth fully erupted. So long as they are eating OK, I don't worry. After all, most newborn mammals sleep alot.

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Yes, I know, but all I have so far are Nubians and lots of them. These girls were by far the slowest to start acting like kids. But they are fine now, spent their first night outside last night. Just curious if there is a reason for something like that.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Have had that happen a few times here too but don't know why? unless is that is took longer getting thru the birth canal and they are just worn out.