Premature kids...how early have you saved them?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by doodles, Feb 4, 2013.

1. doodles

doodles New Member

I have an elderly doe that is due 2/19. She began bloating over the weekend and we brought the vet out . She has a growth or some kind of partial blockage. She is still pooping,eating and drinking but in a rapid decline. We installed a modified cow trocar to allow me to let the gas off . She now has 15 days until her due date. What would be the earliest that I could have kids live? This doe is definitely going to die but it would be nice to be able to save her kids. I saved a doeling at 12 days before but it was touchy.

2. smithurmonds

smithurmonds New Member

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm sorry to hear this Angie. I'll have my fingers crossed for you.

3. hmcintosh

hmcintosh New Member

Sorry to hear this. I lost a mom and we tried to save the babies. She had 3 little bucks but 2 where already dead, the 3rd one had a very small
    heart beat and I tried with him but got no results. I bought her already bred and didn't know how far along they were, but they had to be close
    because they were probably a good 5 lbs each. Just do the best you can do and hope for good things.

Best Regards,
    Heather

4. The earliest we had kiddos were 141 or 142 days gestation. (Hand bred doe so we know when she was due and she went early, on her own) She had kidded with 1 dead buck kid, 1 live buck kid 1 live doeling. Buck kid died after birth (dam killed him) Doeling was inside but couldn't keep her body temp up, couldn't eat, couldn't stand. she could barely hold her head up and she was the smallest Nubian kid we ever had...she weighed in at 3lbs. I tube fed her the first 24hrs ours. The next 24-48hrs she was weak so she very slowly nursed from the bottle and she didn't stand up until she was a few days old maybe a bit longer. It's been a while.

5. I had a doe kid at 142 days gestation and she had twins (one doe, one buck). The buck never really got started. He died about 20 minutes after birth. The doe lived for 3 days before going into seizures and dying. She nursed from a bottle and could stand if you put her on her feet prior to that. I'm not sure what she died of...just not strong enough, I guess.

6. Cannon_farms

Cannon_farms New Member

Im wondering if dyne would help sustain her a bit longer. If you dont have a good goat vet bethlehem animal hospital has two good ones. I had a dwarf get attacked and i knew she wasnt going to make it so we put her down took the kids immediatly at 12 days befor kidding never could get them going with my whole bag of tricks. Good luck if I can help lmk

7. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

We successfully saved 2 week premie buck kids (Boers).

Big factor was that we were able to give the doe Dex about 6 hours before they were born. If she were mine, I would give her Dex. Your vet should know how often (since you have such a big window of time he may have a protocol over a period of days).

Once they are born, you will want to give them Dex again, as well as keep them under a heat lamp (preferably in the house) as premies can't regulate their body temperatures.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Search the forum for dosages on dexamethazone by Kaye White or Blissberry. They use the drugs routinely. You want to use Luteyse at 2cc IM no matter the size of the doe. Both are IM shots.

You want to get the kids out while the doe is viable, if you let her deteriorate, you will never be able to save the kids. Since Lute takes 36 hours, I would be opting for a c section to save the kids, giving Dexamethazone as you decide that tomorrow is the day to take the kids.

9. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

2 cc Lutalyse & 5 cc Dexamethasone for labor induction.
    You can give Dex. to kid after they are born @ 1/4 cc per 10#, you have to calibrate it down for smaller kids. You will need an insulin syringe to get an accurate dose.

10. I had one doe kid two weeks early, she had a lot of nasty brown stuff and bones and one live doe kid. I have since sold the kid doe but she did great, and has kidded successfully, and is normal sized.

11. doodles

doodles New Member

Thanks so much for the replies. So far the doe is improving. She is up,drinking and eating. If she continues to do well we will just keep going with her. I do have dex on hand and if she declines at all I will begin giving her the dex and plan for a c section. I will look up those dex dosages for premies. It will make so much difference if we can get another week out of this.

12. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'm glad she's doing better. A few years ago, I was dealing with a pregnant doe who either had experienced a stroke or had a brain tumor. At least that's what my vet suggested. She was drooling alot of cud and losing much of her nutrients. I managed to keep her going until her due date. After kidding, she started going downhill faster so we put her down. Her twin bucks did just fine as bottle babies. The earliest I had a kid survive was day 140. The doe kidded with triplets. The two boys were already dead when I found them. I managed to save the doe by tube feeding her the first meal and giving dex.

13. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

I know Dex has many benefits, but it also lowers the immune system.

What does giving Dex to kids actually do for them?

14. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Matures the lungs which is the very last thing to happen en utero.

15. todog

todog New Member

i believe it is supposed to help mature the lungs of the unborn goat.

16. todog

todog New Member

sorry buckrun we both must have been posting at the same time. lol

17. Trysta

Trysta New Member

Just want to make sure you realize that in addition to helping the lungs of the kids mature, Dexamethasone DOES induce labor. So if you give the shot, don't plan the C-section afterward: have the vet come 6 hours after that shot if you want a C-section, otherwise you will have to deliver normally (which if the doe is indeed improving, might not be a problem)
    Marion

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Buck

Sorry to hear Angela. I know you and the girls will do the best you can. I know Sharon saved one last year that was almost 3 weeks early with Dex.

19. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Cindi, goatlings have zero immune function when born, they are born sterile, so dex will have no effect on them. It also will stop swelling in the brain and lungs in preemies.

Donna Palmer has an excellent article on her preemie she saved, I know I forwarded it to the forum, not sure if it is this one or the server before. You could also search for it at Nubian Talk on yahoogroups.com

20. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I saved one 13 days premature...she was barely 4 lbs.