pregnant yearling behavior. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

I have a doe that just kidded twin doelings two weeks ago and she has her DD from last year in with them all. All my goats except the buck are together.
    This yearling acts like a newborn kid in the fact that she runs and jumps and plays on the toys with the little ones and acts just like them. She weighs over 90 lbs. She does not look pregnant but she is now getting a nice udder on her. She is due the 7th of April.

Is this normal behavior? She is very gentle with the little ones.
    She acts like she knows they are her full Sisters.

She slides through the tunnel on her knees as she is too big to run through like the kids do but she is right behind them.
    She gets up on the slide even though most of her body hangs over and slides down.
    Very odd site to see.

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

What a site. I can just picture it. That must be a very happy doe. :biggrin

-Kim

3. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Very cute:D

Goats do know who their families are and she is probably very thrilled to have siblings. Be grateful she is not the jealous type.

4. Corky

Corky New Member

The three Sisters at play.
    [​IMG]

Three Sisters with Molly. Molly is not the Mom. She is my 13 year old that is due to kid at any time.

The Mom is also Sundgau.

5. Corky

Corky New Member

This is a better picture of the kids. Only the oldest is a broken sundgau.
    All the others are sundgau.

[​IMG]

6. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

All my goats (except the bucks) are in together, too. That includes the older does, the yearlings who are pregnant, and their (also pregnant) mothers.

There is Annabelle (due to kid on 3/18) and her yearling does, Gypsy and Rosalie (both due to kid on 3/19). Annabelle looks like she swallowed five basketballs. I hope she kids early. She looks absolutely miserable.

There is Devine (due to kid 3/21), her daughter Delphine (kidded 1/19) and Delphine's kids, Ripley (doe) and O1 (wether).

Ripley and her brother are always running around and playing "Let's stand on Annabelle cuz she's so WIDE!" and Gypsy and Rosie come over and stand over Annabelle and occasionally will keep the two little ones from harassing Mom by keeping them distracted with headbutting games or other "kid games." Other times, I've just seen them shoo the two brats away from their mother.

And then there are the times when the two little ones get in the hay feeder and play "Let's stand on Gypsy and Rosie's back!" Or another variation, "Let's stand on Granny Devine's Back!"

Strangely enough, Mom doesn't seem interested in playing with them... They're 50% Boer crosses and quite rambunctious. She's quite content to let the yearlings babysit. :D

Adorable pictures, by the way. :lol

-- Wendy

7. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Our oldest doe is almost 7.......most times, she acts about 8 weeks! Our herd bounces all around and acts like kids ALOT! :) I guess that means they are just happy?

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

You have a pretty goat family. I like sundgaus. Kathie

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I haven't put the Little Tykes toys back into the infant play yard because the 8, 12 month olds, who are due next month, still are playing on them!!!! Big round bellies and udders and all. Vicki

10. Corky

Corky New Member

Well then, you had better hit the yard sales and get some more!
    It amazes me how much those things cost new and I can pick them up in a yard sale for 10 bucks or else someone gives them to me for free just to get rid of them.
    My goats have torn up several over the years.