pregnant hoof trimming

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Dec 30, 2007.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK this does hooves were trimmed 5 weeks ago... she is HEAVY BRED... HUGE...

this doe sigh... she is our worst on hooves... they are bad again and really should NOT wait... BUT she is due in 2 wks.

This is my big doe that dh calls Cinnamon side car...

trim now... or not? If yes any special advice on a doe like this? She IS a sweetheart.. easy to handle.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I don't ask my big does to jump up on the milkstand, although some do, then I help them down, but I don't not trim feet for any reason. Some of my does in certain pens simply have to be trimmed monthly, some their monthly trimming isn't much trimming at all. Vicki

3. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Now.. why aren't we trimming feet?? :blush

4. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

thanks! we'll do it on the ground for sure... did last time as she is just big.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Ashley you will hear on some forums that if you trim a goats feet during pregnancy the action of pulling her leg up off the ground, I guess her rear foot, will cause her to abort...

Wow almost couldn't even write that with a straight face :) Vicki

6. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

snort that was not my thought... was just worried about her size.. I was hoping she'd make it to kidding time ok...

7. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

On a real big heavy bred doe sometimes they do have a little trouble with balancing on three legs. I let them lean on me, or have a helper steady them a little.
    Karen

8. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

nod... this is the doe who weight taped over 200lbs...

thankfully my dd is just under 5'10 and 180lbs... she can handle Cinn.... she'll also though do it against the fence

9. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Oh my, maybe I should stop looking at them cross-eyed too.