Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this does hooves were trimmed 5 weeks ago... she is HEAVY BRED... HUGE...

this doe sigh... she is our worst on hooves... they are bad again and really should NOT wait... BUT she is due in 2 wks.

This is my big doe that dh calls Cinnamon side car...

trim now... or not? If yes any special advice on a doe like this? She IS a sweetheart.. easy to handle.

·
Registered
16,497 Posts
I don't ask my big does to jump up on the milkstand, although some do, then I help them down, but I don't not trim feet for any reason. Some of my does in certain pens simply have to be trimmed monthly, some their monthly trimming isn't much trimming at all. Vicki

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks! we'll do it on the ground for sure... did last time as she is just big.

·
Registered
16,497 Posts
Ashley you will hear on some forums that if you trim a goats feet during pregnancy the action of pulling her leg up off the ground, I guess her rear foot, will cause her to abort...

Wow almost couldn't even write that with a straight face :) Vicki

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
snort that was not my thought... was just worried about her size.. I was hoping she'd make it to kidding time ok...

·
Registered
141 Posts
On a real big heavy bred doe sometimes they do have a little trouble with balancing on three legs. I let them lean on me, or have a helper steady them a little.
Karen

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nod... this is the doe who weight taped over 200lbs...

thankfully my dd is just under 5'10 and 180lbs... she can handle Cinn.... she'll also though do it against the fence

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Vicki McGaugh Tx Nubians said:
Ashley you will hear on some forums that if you trim a goats feet during pregnancy the action of pulling her leg up off the ground, I guess her rear foot, will cause her to abort...

Wow almost couldn't even write that with a straight face :) Vicki
Oh my, maybe I should stop looking at them cross-eyed too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts