Pregnant Doe not Eating

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, May 26, 2008.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

I have a two year old doe who is due on Thursday, for the past few weeks or so she's just been eating half of her food, or not wanting seconds. Then for the past few days she hasn't eaten much grain at all, or just nibbled at it. Besides this she is acting fine and eating lots of alfalfa, hogging it from the smaller does. It is hot, so maybe she's just not hungry? Should I be concerned? I know that this could be a sign for ketosis or milk fever, something like that. Tell me what I need to know. Thanks all! Kristin :D

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

She probably is just too full with a belly full of kids they don't have a lot of room if she quits eating the alfalfa pellets then I would be real worried but I really don't worry much abt the grain yet. Do you have CMPK on hand if not then get the injectable from the vet. You may need it yet.

3. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Sondra, forgive my ignorance. What is CMPK? What is it used for? Thanks! Kristin

4. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Take her temp if its normal just watch..below normal start with cmpk. Look in goat keeping 101 for the homemade version.

Patty

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

CMPK is a brand name but it is calcium/magnesium/phosphorus basicly and is used for hypocalcimia which occurs prior to freshening milk fever is after freshening