Pregnant Doe acting off - temp 102.2 feeling better

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley New Member

We noticed yesterday Toggy seemed a little off, when we took the goats for a walk, she was bringing up the rear. She is getting kinda fat with pregnancy, so we thought maybe that was it. But then I noticed her belly didn't seem as big as usual, I don't think she's been eating as much. She's just acting tired and not real interested in food. Poops are fine. We are about to go take her temperature. I have some B Complex here, should I go ahead and give her some? I gave her some kefir.

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Re: Pregnant Doe acting off

B complex would be fine to give. When is she due?

Christy

3. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Oh, sorry, guess I should have mentioned that! She is due May 14th.

She has been eating free choice bermuda mix hay, which has a good bit of red clover. Once a day they get a good serving of alfalfa pellets. The other day I started giving her a little handful of grain to her diet, along with some extra alfalfa pellets.

They also go for walks one a day and eat a little grass/pine needles (that's about all that's out there right now).

4. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Do I give the sheep dose, or should I give more? Intramuscular?

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would give her 3 cc of B Complex and I use sq. also make sure she is getting at least 3 lbs of alfalfa pellets per day if not free choice. as she could be depleting her calcium which she needs to grow babies.

6. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Ok her temp is 103.9 . I don't remember what normal is, but that's high right?

7. trnubian

trnubian New Member

Yes that is a little bit high. Sound like she could have some sort of infection. If you have any excenel I would alternate that with pennicilan to cover all your bases. I would bet she has some sort of respritory infection. Sometimes those things can be silent. I also second the alfalfa pellets. Make sure she is getting at least 3 lb. if not more.

8. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Hmm, I looked around and several places say normal is 102-104, some say 102-103. Will goats run a slightly higher temp when pregnant like people?

I do doubt she's low on calcium. She's been getting no grain and a good amount of alfalfa (not sure of the exact poundage, but I can weight and see. Though a small goat, she is alpha and gets whatever she wants, so she always gets her alfalfa fill. I don't feed quite free choice on alfalfa, but close, because some days there are still pellets left when I feed it again. Not to mention clover is in their grass hay as well.

I have some tetracyclene that you are supposed to put in water, that's it. My grandparents, about 2 miles down the road have penicillin and who knows what else lol.

9. Ashley

Ashley New Member

I did just remember, about a week and a half ago she got into the layer pellets. It didn't look like she ate much, so I just gave her some kefir and she seemed fine. Could this have anything to do with it, this late?

I've given her two good doses of kefir, we gave her the b vitamins. She ate some pine needles and garlic greens and then I offered her hay, but she didn't want it. So I got some fresh grass and she ate that right down. So I let her out to graze and she did a little, but not real enthusiastic. I put her back up and she drank some water. I'm going to go back out in a bit and see what's going on, let her out to eat again and retake her temp.

Her feeling bad coincided with her udder starting to develop just a little. Could her hormones make her feel yucky, or just coincidence?

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would take the temp of someone else. That would not be a temp I would worry about in a heavy bred older doe, carrying kids. Especially after a long walk in the 80's today.

I would ask why you aren't starting her on grain? There is not way she can glean enough calories, fat or carbs from her browsing and hay if she is going to be an excellent milker or have large robust kids, or high multiples. Vicki

11. Ashley

Ashley New Member

They didn't just go on a walk, that was yesterday evening.

I just took her temperature again, it's 105.5 now. :( I'm worried she's going to lose the babies. We called the vet and they're coming out. The lady (not the vet, his wife) acted like 105.5 was very bad. Is it? Normally they are pretty laid back about stuff when I ask them about this or that, so her reaction has me worried, but I'm wondering if she has forgotten normal goat temp?

I have just started her on grain, just a handful. I meant she hadn't been getting grain in the past.

She is not an older doe, just an 2 yr old FF.

12. Ashley

Ashley New Member

I would like to know what you guys would do in this case. I'm hoping the vet knows what he's doing, since I don't. He came recommended from a great small animal vet, and seems to know what he's talking about. He's been out here for my horses, and I've asked him some questions before. I've just heard so many bad goat vet stories.

13. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Re: Pregnant Doe acting off - temp 105.5, called vet

At this point with no other symptoms I would put her on antibiotic s , a shot of b vitamins and bo-se.

If she is eating and drinking not much more to do. If she was not drinking enough I would go with sub q or iv fluids.

Patty

14. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Why bo-se?

15. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Boosts the immune system.

Sara

16. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Ah, ok thanks.

17. Ashley

Ashley New Member

So is 105.5 like really bad, or just high?

18. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

It is a pretty serious temp IMO. You are going to need strong antibiotics. What do you have on hand? Do you have any Banamine?

Be sure to give her B vitamins, probios and fluids.

Sara

19. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Fellow goat temp was 101.5 or .7 I forgot. Took Toggy's again and it was 105.1 .

The vet is coming, so he will have antibiotics/benamine. He is a mobile vet only. Any reason I can't give kefir instead of probios? That's what I normally use for probiotics around here.

20. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

If Kefir is what you use then that would be fine. I use probios or a cud transfer but others report success with Kefir.

Get all the meds you are going to need from this vet - antibiotics, Banamine, IV fluids.

Good luck,
    Sara