Pregnancy testing

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Jan 16, 2008.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

When doing a preg test, must it always be a blood test, or can you have either the milk or urine tested. The reason I'm asking is that I have no experience drawing blood and don't want to have to haul the goat to the vet in my car and then pay for an office call as well as the test. This is the grade doe I haven't seen cycle except in Oct. I didn't breed her then (though there is the off chance he could have bred her through the fence). I have a 7 month old buckling in the does pen now, but I have not seen her interact with him.

2. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

No other tests that I know of except to ultra sound. Drawing blood is a cinch! I think there is a link in 101 with pictures. Take a look and give it a try!

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you ever tried it even once, I know you could do it. Just shave the hair for your first try. Wipe the area down with alcohol. Have someone hold the goats head up really high and tight. Push your finger against the jugular and watch it fill with blood above your finger. Push in the needle and fill it, put the needle in the vacutainer tube and it suctions the blood out of the needle without you touching it. Super simple. Just try it, you can not hurt the goats!

It would be a little like having a vet out to disbud or trim feet :) And you can just use a 3cc syringe setup you normally use for shots, no special anything required...just do it. Vicki

4. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Hey, if I can draw blood, you can!!! I was nervous and stuck the poor thing three times before I got the vein.

What I was doing was not putting the needle in all the way. I felt the "pop" when the needle went into the skin. When I finally got the vein, I felt a second "pop". In looking back, I probably didn't hold the vein off well enough for it to fill up.

If you do decide to go ahead to the vet, better check with him first. I had the same idea and my vet would draw the blood but would only send it off to his lab. Not the lab of my choosing. He wouldn't pull the blood and give me the vial to take home and mail. So something to check out first.

I have this copied in my notebook.

http://boergoats.com/clean/articleads.php?art=64

Leslie

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I wouldn't be too concerned where the vet sent a pregnancy test. I do care where the CAE tests go and there is a vet who is willing to come out and to mail the vials to WSU for me. With this doe, I don't plan to cull her right now even if she's not pregnant. I just thought I might want to milk her through if she isn't. There is a buckling in the pen with her now, so if she's having silent heats, she should get bred or the little guy should at least alert me. I do want to learn to draw blood, but like my first disbudding experience, I'd like to have someone there to guide me through it.