Preemie Care

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Karen Bailey, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

This morning I was surprised with the first kid of the year,(a doe!!!) 17 days early according to the breeding I saw, but on checking my notes from October, possibly only 10 days early. She has short hair, no teeth yet, but does have a sucking reflex (thank goodness!). DH and I got her warm and dry, and she took 2 oz of warmed up frozen colostrum. Besides keeping her warm and feeding small amounts often, is there anything else I need to do for her? She has a will to get up, but is only able to thrash around when she tries. Right now I've got her tucked in my sweatshirt kangaroo style. Oh and Mom is a first freshener and is relieved that that noisy thing was removed from her pen and is back to eating. I'm going to transfer the kid to my hubby's care and go see how the first milking goes.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Small frequent feedings Vit E capsul and BoSe May take her a while to get on her feet.

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

When I had a 10 days early preemie, I got a shot of Dex from my vet to help her lungs develop. I don't recall the dose, but I'm sure your vet or someone on this forum would know it. Kathie