Precocious kid

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Nov 20, 2008.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I have a 6 month old 75% La Mancha doeling who is precocious on one side. I've heard folks on her share that this could indicate staph. Is there something I should be treating her with prior to breeding her? Her twin sister is not precocious, but some of my friend's doelings out of the same sire have been, only not at so young an age. Kathie

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

For myself it isn't logical that if this is hereditary (we have this in alot of our nubian bloodline) or hormonal (feeding of alot of soy) than both halves would come in equally. If you have one side forming and not the other this is not normal and I would check her for staph. I would infuse and treat her systemically, since not in milk you can easily pull out the big guns to not only infuse with but also to give as injections, they would be clear by the time she freshens. Vicki

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

What would be the best antibiotic to use systemically if this is staph? In one fresh doe, I used Excenel and PennG at the same time. The only infusions we have at our store is Today and Tomorrow. Does the vet have to prescribe gentomycin infusions or is it the pig stuff from Jeffers you put tino a dry cow tube? I might have to have the vet help infuse her since her teats are so small yet. Should I also give Lysigin? Kathie

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you are going to get gentamycin than use it both with your tommorrow infusion but also sytemically with pennicillin. Or choose a much better infusion like Pirsue and use Naxcel (I am not one of those who believes that excenell is a good replacement for Naxcel). Naxcel, gent and another big gun is about the only drugs that will go into the mammary system...even with the other big milk withdrawals they are very poor at working on mastitis. I don't have my goatmedicine book handy but you can get the dosages off here on the left search. Or email me at my hotmail addy later on today. Vicki