POWDERED GOAT MILK QUESTION

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by whimmididdle, Nov 20, 2007.

1. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Is it possible to turn goat milk into powdered goat milk ? If so, then how much trouble is it to do, and does anyone know where to find info on how to do it.

Thanks Whim.

2. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

No idea but it is an interesting question Whim.

Trisha

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I've never heard of it myself, but they do it with cows milk, or at least I hope that's what they put in the box.

I was interested in trying an alternative way to preserve milk if it is possible. Canned milk just ain't right !!!, and a freezer will only hold so much. It would be cool if you could put milk in dry storage, and only mix up what is needed at a time. Maybe some old pro's on here will chime in soon.

Thanks Sara for putting up with me .....Whim

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Anytime Whim. ;)

I hope you get some answers to your questions. Although I would venture to guess that it would have to be done on a much larger scale than one could do at home. Sure would be a space saver though!

Sara

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I don't think you can do it at home, but of course they do it, where else do all though pretty lily white bars of goat milk soap come from that soapers sell, except from Purchased Powdered Goat milk! I've seen some myself in soaping supplies here and there .

6. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

They don't use all fully reconstitutes goat milk from that powder, either...just a little bit. To make powdered milk, they spray it to dry it. You could experiment...or just can it and save it for the babies next year :):

7. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

I'd be interested to know the answer to that question also.
    I did try making evaporated milk many years ago. What a mess :crazy. Took more time and electricity in the oven than it was worth. It never did get to what I thought it would though.
    Canned? heck.. I am short enough on space.. and I hate glass more and more as I get older. If it doesn't fit in my freezer.. it sure fits and looks good on the dogs.

Rett

8. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

On my many canning groups, it is not recommended to can milk. I have heard people do it, but I think it has to do with the fat in the milk. Commercial processors have special equipment to deal with milk. I always thought it would be a good idea, but after reading about it, I changed my mind. I would also think that it would drastically change the flavor of the milk. We have decided to milk at least 10 months a year, maybe year around, but there are enough of us to milk year around, my daughters and son are tied into their jobs anyway, so that doesn't really make a differnce. Carolyn