Postpartum screaming

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Madeleine M., Mar 30, 2008.

1. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

Our Nubian gave birth this afternoon. We took the kids away immediately, and gave them heat treated colostrum. We did not have any trouble when we milked her this evening, but now, she is screaming her head off in her stall. She is in the same place with the same friends as always.

Do some goats just scream like this, or should we start worrying that something is wrong?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Nope it will last through tonight and be over tommorrow if you spend time with her. It's completely normal and a bear when you are trying to hear others kidding on the intercom that night!

Worse is when they kid and then are sold...but rest assured, they will loose their voice before you go insane :) Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep just a normal thing :)

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Mine never get over it that quickly.. ! :crazy I think what happens is, when you assist with birthing, and take kids away, then you become their kids. You will see this if you spend time with the doe, as she licks you and makes momma sounds to you.. and then you leave and go to the house!! :shocked and all she wants is her baby (you) back.. :rofl so if your house is anything like mine, they will be screaming for some time.. give it a couple of weeks, you'll get used to it. :rofl :rofl

5. LMonty

LMonty New Member

I gotta admit, when I read the title, the first thing that came to mind was wondering if you were talking about the does screaming- or the owners....
    :)

6. KUrby

KUrby New Member

2 WEEKS!!!!! I would go insane. :rofl :crazy
    k

7. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Alpines get over it pretty quick :) Nubians....I dunno, lol!

I had one Alpine yearling who screamed so badly and for so long whenever you were in the barn that I took her to the sale yard!!!! I couldn't stand it. Most of them get over it fairly quickly -- a few days or so.

Tracy

8. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Maybe I should have named the place "The Funny Farm" instead ? :rofl

9. Truly

Truly New Member

My nubians usually scream at least a couple of days. Like Vicki says, they usually go hoarse in a couple of days tho.

My FF that had triplets yesterday screams with her tongue hanging out. As a result, the last 3/4 inch of her tongue is dry and dark. She looks so sad.

10. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

Thanks. She is doing much better today. For a while there, we were afraid she was dying!

11. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Lotus got to raise her kid last year. This year, she bit the kid's cord too short and the baby died. She cried for a couple od days. Now, she cries when it's milking time. I guess she thinks I'm her baby. Kathie

12. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Aw, this makes me SAD :sniffle

I'm such a wuss...

last year was my first kidding and we had the does dam raise cause they were all for meat. This year they will kid and we are taking them away. all (does and kids) will be sold fairly soon after birth hopefully. As a momma it kinda breaks my heart to think of them crying for thier kids...but I know I just better "farmer up" and deal with it.

Crimony, I took the older kids from thier moms and butchered them right off at 4 and six months without a tear shed! I don't need to tell you how those meat kids are so cute when they are born you wonder how you are going to butcher them later. We had this doeling we called burger (cause we were going to eat her) but she ended up being called trinity after the gal on the matrix. no joke that kid could run UP the wall and jump over stuff. she easily cleared a 4 foot fence with hardly a run. the other two kids didn't even TRY to get out. SHE DROVE ME NUTS!!! One day was the straw that broke the camels back, the very last time that beast got out. I told my husband she was going, all the kids were going TODAY. We butcherd them all and put them in the freezer, it was glorious!

So I gotta stop being a wuss...I can do it, they'll be alright. It's not like someone's taking away my child... :sniffle