Post Birth - When to Consider Oxytocin

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by BlueHeronFarm, Jun 2, 2008.

1. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

We had a goat kid at 10 this morning. It's noon and she hasn't passed the afterbirth. It's not the two hours that worry me - but there is still no water bag hanging.

At what point do we give her oxytocin if she hasn't at least passed the water bag and have it hanging? Also, can you remind me the dose? I forgot to label my bottle.

Thanks!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Here, she would get 1/2 cc IM at 12 hours. It's abnormal to have a true retained placenta like this. A hanging placenta still would be considered normal in some herds, especially with our copper problems in east Texas. I would do a pelvic and se what is going on. Another kid? And lots of times just putting your hand in to check for more kids is enough to get her to push the placenta out, or it comes partway out with your hand.

Lots of milking, to stimulate her own natural oxytocin...and when I resort to oxytocin they go on antibiotics afterwards, pennicillin usually.

If she is small enough go behind her and grab her around her belly in front of her udder, and pull up, massaging that fundus will also help her pass the placenta.

One doe with this problem is not a herd health problem. Vicki

3. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

She passed it. :)

Normally ours hang for 10 minutes to an hour...I guess she just passed it all at once. She was just copper bolused a month ago - so that is really interesting to me that it might be all about the copper. She is the only one that we bolused pre-birth because she was late to conceive/kid this year. VERY interesting. Thanks for the reply.