Possilbe problems...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by trnubian, May 12, 2008.

1. trnubian

trnubian New Member

Ok Maria is very very large and I am fairly sure she has triplets are maybe even quads in there this year. I am not exactly sure on her due date as she ran with the buck from the first of December through the first half of January. I do remember him hanging around her a lot but not doing anything about 2 weeks after he got here so I am guesstimating she is due this week or next.

Her ligaments have been soft for about a week now which is drivning me nuts! The last three days though she is getting either EXTREMELY uncomfortable or she is sick and I am not sure with what. She has barely touched her hay lately. She hasn't touched ANY grain in the last 3 days. She will go outside and browse a little bit but she mainly hangs out in the sun or in the barn by the back wall. She has this half lidded look and sometimes she just stands there with her head half down.

The part I am most worried about is her not eating. She has had free choice alfalfa hay, and I have been giving her a little grain once a day for the last 8 weeks. But like I said she has hardly been eating any of it if she does eat she goes outside and browses a little bit.

I have calcium gluconate and dextrose. I am probably going to go ahead and give her some of both just incase she has hyocalcemia or is starting with it or ketosis. But do you all think maybe she just could be worn out and very uncomfortable? Any other idea?

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

As soon as she went off grain she should have been treated . Do not wait 3 days . treat now.

Patty

If only my fingers kept up with my brain.

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

OK, so that means the doe I have that has decided not to eat her grain needs to be treated too. I was thinking she is just ready to kid...

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Huge difference between not finishing our morning grain and kidding that afternoon like Red did yesterday (yet 2 more doelings and a buckling) , and then continueing to balk at food and not kidding. You have to respond quickly to metobolic pergnancy issues like this and honestly if you had responded with CMPK etc...(Sue Reiths protocoal which is the only things I ever do anymore) it wouldn't hurt if you were doing it and she was in labor :) vicki

5. trnubian

trnubian New Member

I haven't done anything because she was still eating hay and browse. She didn't want it this morning though and I just went out to check on her and she is chowing down on it so I am kind of clueless. I will go ahead and treat her for everything just in case though (Especially since she hasn't eaten grain), that is what I was planning on before but I just wondered if you all had any other ideas because she is going from "I'm fine", to dumpy looking pretty fast and back again.

She did have hypocalcimeia 2 years ago with triplets but she acted nothing like this. So I am kind of at a loss...

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Why worry treat her with calcium as it won't hurt her either way

7. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

wont her temp drop if it is hypocalcemia? what is it?

8. trnubian

trnubian New Member

I believe it drops if it is ketosis. Or I could be wrong I get the two mixed up as they are similar and usually go hand and hand.

She is now eating her grain. I mixed a new batch today and offered her some. She was like YUM! lol. They last batch I had bought from a cousin who shares the same mix but they get theirs mixed from the elevator. I mixed this new batch by hand and it is MUCH cleaner. (I guess the elevator sisn't clean the bin between batched of feed.) :/

Should I go ahead and continue with the Calcium Gluconate and dextrose if she is now eating hay and grain? Or should I go ahead and leave her be. She HATES it and fights me ard when I drench her. I don't want to stres her anymore than I have to. I have also been offering her warm water with Karo syrup in it. I can continue to use this to bring her blood suger back up and hopefully keep it there.

Thanks for all the replies!