possible tumor??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by andiplus5, Apr 4, 2008.

1. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

My husband and I went and looked at some boer goats today for him. We are buying one, possibly two, does. While we were looking at them they were eating and I was walking around behind them. When I got to one of the ones for sale, I started running my hand up her back from behind. She was eating and her belly felt funny (the haha kind) so I was feeling on both sides. Something on the right side (from the rear) didn't feel right. So I walked around the feeder feeling all the does while they were eating. I didn't feel this on any of them but her. It was a ball about the size of an orange on her right side between her rib cage and hip just under the backbone. I know she's not a dairy goat, but they have the same anatomy so I thought I would ask if this is something I should be concerned with.

I told the owner and he too could only feel it on her. I told him I didn't want to buy a goat and then have to put $500.00 in vet bills in her. He said if I bought her and the vet finds something wrong he will refund my money. He's the local ag teacher at the school and he's a pretty good guy and well known. I don't think he would try to sell me a diseased goat. He's trying to do an honest deal, but I am worried it might be a tumor. Other than the knot, she is perfectly healthy and in great form. She would make a fantastic dam for my dh's herd. Just wondering if I should take the chance or not. Any suggestions on what it might be??
    Thanks,
    Andi

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I wouldn't borrow trouble. Your instinct is perfect, I would not buy her.

Did you know Janice Frazel in Gilmer Texas is selling out her boers, she is older than me, has had boers from the beginning, raising them on all that LaMancha and Saanen milk...she is selling does nursing babies for $125. Just went across the District 6 list. Gilmer is really far into north Texas it certainly couldn't be that much of a drive. For sure her goats would be ultra healthy and well taken care of and a steal! Vicki

Janice Frazel has 35 Full Blood and % Boers
    Priced for total Sale $125. each, all kids will go with
    their dams for the $125.
    Call 1 903 762 2990
    Gilmer TX

3. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

They sound great, but I have no way to go get them. That's why we've been looking locally.
    Andi

4. Good advice from Vicki. Don't borrow trouble :)

5. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

yes, we decided not to buy her. Thanks for the advice! :D
    Andi

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Andi if you do buy some boers from anywhere make sure they test for CL

7. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

ok. What is CL and what does it look like? Where would I look for it on a goat? I'd like to look the boer over before bringing it home. What should I look for?
    Thanks,
    Andi