Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

Possible mastitis Nubian

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  shawhee 
#1 ·
Hi I'm very new to goats we've had our 2 Nubian does a little over a month(june 24 18 )one hasn't been bred the other is in milk shes a FF (kidded Feb )milked 2x a day 7-8 cups per time . there were a few days I wasnt able to milk her to completion getting 6cups vs the normal 7-8 .So yesterday am I went to milk her and the right side fell less full then normal (left is fine ) the milk had snot like clumps and very little milk (left fine) today its as if her right side has gone dry I'm still trying to milk that side .I'm,not sure what's going on being that snoty milk and a drop in supply of one side are her only symptoms her bag isnt hard swollen hot to the touch etc thoughts to what could be going on and how do I fix it

#3 ·
The best thing to do is get a sterile tube like a blood draw tube, try to express whatever you can (very cleanly- I actually have milk sample tubes but you have to order them) and send it off to a lab, I have used LSU in the past or even your vet may be able to send it off, for a culture to know exactly what type of mastitis you are dealing with. Then in the meantime I would go to tractor supply or a feed store and get some today (mastitis treatment) cannulas and treat her until you get the results back. But get that sample before treating her. And keep it cool. Refrigerate or freeze, I cant remember as it has been a while since I had to do that.

#4 ·
I don't understand this part- "Then in the meantime I would go to tractor supply or a feed store and get some today (mastitis treatment) and treat her until you get the results back. But get that sample before treating her. "

You mean to give her the mastitis treatment before the sample comes back or not to treat until sample comes back? I would like to know the procedure for my own use.

#5 ·
I would take a sample, send it off. Then yes I would put something in her now, if not you have a chance for it to get out of control. The worst thing you did, was maybe not use the right product and you will know when you get it if you need a stronger med (like pursue or spectramast) which at that point your going to have to have a vet and a script for them. Best case it was a form of mastitis that is fine with a treatment of today and you have already got the jump on it. And at least treating with something gets the jump and may hold it at bay even if it's not exactly what was needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.