portable hoop house ??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Aug 21, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

could anyone with portable hoop houses please post pictures and descriptions??

Wanting to build 2 to use in my browse yards, but dh is skeptical...

2. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

thank you off to look!

3. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I like that! My neighbor has those! The website's ones look sturdier than my neighbors.
    May see if DH will build me a couple of these in the future goat pen...as soon as the 3 big girls are tested they will move up there together and will need a shelter and I am sure the donk up there would appreciate it as well!

Sarah

4. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

5. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

thank you Ray that looks close to what I am thinking...

6. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

Those hoop shelters work very well here. I have 3 of them in my pasture.Two of them have been up for over 2 years. I did buy some really heavy duty tarps with grommets in them and I used zip ties to attach them to the panels. None of mine have anything holding them down. They are just 2 x 4 frames lying on the ground. When we have wind of any kind, they just sway. We had a storm with winds gusts of 60 mph and they never moved. I could not believe it, our carport blew away and the roof over our deck ripped off, but the shelters were fine. My goats use them for shade in the summer and rain protection in the winter.

7. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

We use hoop houses LOTS... but the browse yards really need to move almost weekly...

8. nappint

nappint New Member

This first picture is of the goat house - it's not pretty : :blush but it's the first hoop house we had ever built and we just used what we had laying around. We just had to add 2X4 reinforcement this past weekend to one side. We've found that for us the house can't be made out of cattle panel because there isn't enough metal to make it stiff enough - our goats pushed on it until they were able to climb it LOL!

The second picture is of the houses we made for the chickens - this is how we will build the next goat houses but without the door. The 4X4 utility panel is very strong but still light enough to drag around with little effort.

Ugly but functional portable goat house: http://www.ssb6.net/users/21954/dsc_0094_1219344912.jpg

Chicken houses but soon to be goat houses: http://www.ssb6.net/users/21954/dsc_0095_1219344927.jpg

9. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

Something I use all the time to cover my barns or shades would work good on these so you would not have to replace the tarps all the time. I run a add on craigslist every few months looking for old hard sided shiming pools. You can get them most of the time for free and one 18' x 4' round pool gives you a piece of tin 4' x about 75'. You can cover a few of these with one pool. And you can't beet the price.
    Clay

10. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

These are great. Now I know what I am making for my chickens. Well when i buy some chickens.

Also great for the goats, but once the barn is done they better hang out in it!!!!!!!

11. Goater

Goater Guest

A while back someone posted a photo of their hoop house along with the goat on top of it.
    Christye-Cotton Eyed Does-was that you?

It may have been on the Plus forum.

They talked about what you need to do to prevent the mountain climbers I believe

12. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

I had made a portable one similar to the one I posted as portable for my turkey pen. But before I got it enclosed around the pen yard to keep the little doelings out of the pen they decided they were going to climb it and instead of getting up on it they just collapsed it flat. It was fun trying to get it back into a hoop shape after they had it flattened.

Ray

13. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Yea I guess I could see these being a safety issue. If you get one goat on top and another decides they want up then you could be looking at broken legs. Hmmmm

14. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Hmmm BLUSH THAT WAS ME! :lol

Our first hoop house back in 2005... babies learned to climb it right fast (Laughter Ginger was one of them)....

But we have had NO problems since getting the sides straight up & down... the one Ray posted would NOT work for goats as is...

I am toying with a 2x4 base and 2x4 side supports to attach the panel to... but I would love other ideas...

those sides need to be nice and straight up & down to about shoulder height....

I may give up for this yr and just add a hoop house in the browse yard we can't take down...

15. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Do you have something that could pull a small hoop house? Like a 4 wheeler or riding lawn mower? You could build it on skids then pull it where ever you heart desires.

16. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

[​IMG]

And after trying to put panels on the outside too... to keep them down....

[​IMG]

17. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Nope... but I have a dh, myself, and 3 teens... I figure we could move whatever we build.

18. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Eitherway you would be better off building it on 2x4 skids so it slides easy on the ground.

19. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

was thinking...

rectangular 2x4 frame on ground
    braces at corners
    2x4 frame on each side
    braces at corners
    attach panels to bottom and sides (think 4-5ft high on the sides....)