poo question :)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by CarlinsDarlin, Apr 7, 2008.

1. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin New Member

I have a 5 yo Nubian doe due to freshen in about a month. Starting on day 100, I started increasing her grain daily adding about a small coffee cup over the course of a week. She's now up to about 3 coffee cups (which is about 2/3 of a pound) twice a day. She gets about 3 lbs alfalfa pellets a day, half in the morning and half at night. Everything has been going well so far, but the last couple days she's been having runny poo. Not diarrhea but not berries - solid and somewhat firmer than a cow patty. She was wormed on 3/29 with cydectin (I worm once a month), so I doubt it's worms. Have I increased her grain intake too fast? Should I cut back a bit and see if that helps? Another doe who is due just about the same time has been getting the same amount and her poo is still normal.

She doesn't act like she's not feeling well - just large and pregnant and miserable :) If it's not too much grain too fast, then does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing it?
    Thanks,
    Kathy

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would hold it as it is for a few days and see if she doesn't just level back out. doesn't sound like too much offer her some baking soda out free choice and give her some probios if it doen't clear up in a day or two then cut back on the grain and see.
    On another note if you worm every 30 days with cydectin you are soon not going to have a wormer left that will kill them. your over using your wormers IMO building up resistance to them.

3. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin New Member

Thanks Sondra.
    She has baking soda out. I'll try the probios and see if that helps.

On the cydectin, I was going on advice from a local goat person. Should I be rotating wormers or worming less frequently?

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ok what I do and many many others do is use cydectin then follow up with ivormec plus in 10 days this gets all the stags and worm types. Then do fecals at least every 3 mo and see if it is working. also use the famacha chart in Goat 101 to stay on top of them What works for me is Worm prebreeding worm 100days into gestation and worm day of freshening.
    Over use and rotating is what is and has caused our wormers to become resistant. So doing fecals or having them done is what is recommended.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Oh, my gosh! Cydectin once a month is pushing it.

I'd say you girl is munching on the new growth, if not drylotted. Since most of the growth is saturated with water this time of year, it could possibly be that. Think dairy cattle in the spring.. :rofl LOTS of liquid poo because of the grass strength.
    Kaye

6. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin New Member

Sondra,
    I'll read up on fecals. I bought a microscope some time back because I always thought I'd like to know how to do them, but really have never tried or learned how. I know there's a thread on the 101 forum. I'll look at that. I'd like to worm 3x like you do - much easier and less costly as well. :)

She is on some new growth, Kaye. We don't have a lot of graze room for them, but there is some available - I bet you're right. She has been out the last couple days munching, since we finally have had a dry stretch for a couple days. It's been so wet around here that everyone's been hanging out in the barn, but the last few days have been sunny so the girls have been out some.

Thanks again,
    Kathy

7. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Is it greenish? I'm a bit north of you, and all my goats have started doing the same thing in the last 3 or 4 days. I was kinda worried till I noticed the color. The cows and horses are doing the same thing. I also noticed more normal but still plump greenish berries in the morning before they go grazing, so I'm pretty sure the issue here is just the new spring grass which is VERY full of water right now!

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

A fecal at the vet is about $10. I wouldn't be guessing on a pregnant doe like this. I move from no grain to 1 pound in 100 days. So yes for my goats you are moving along way to fast with the grain. It takes awhile for her to build rumen bacteria that will assimilate the grain. Vicki

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If your going to do your own fecals here is what I did when I started out I did the fecal then I also took a fecal to the vets and had them do it with me getting to watch that way I knew if I was wrong or right I still do this from time to time just to make sure I am on tract. I don't just rely on myself all the time. So I agree here with Vicki on a pg doe get the vet to run the fecals for you.