Polled?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Beverrlly, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

How can you tell if a goat is polled at birth? I thought I read *somewhere* that the hair swirls differently...I've never had polled goats but these babies have the chance of being polled and I'd hate to disbud them!!

2. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

There is a slight difference in the way the hair swirls at birth. Goats that are going to get horns will have two swirls over where the horns will grow in. A polled goat will usually only have a swirl over the top of the head.
    You can also feel for the buds.
    The problem is that some polled goats are rough polled and will have tiny bumps. They do not develop into horns but usually end up being burned because they feel like they should be horns.
    I've had a couple of kids I thought were polled at birth. The guy that used to do our disbudding would burn them. I know now that if I give them some time I can tell if they will develop into horns or just bumps.

We have a polled Nubian herdsire and we had a polled Boer/Alpine/Togg herdsire a few year back. That and I have experience with polled calves as well...lol

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

My polled babies dont have any swirls at all they almost remind me of a scared cat with its hair straight up... :lol its almost fuzzy on top and hair is straight up all over...well mine are that are polled...

4. marytx

marytx New Member

Just look for straight hair instead of swirls where the horns would be.

5. Leo

Leo New Member

And for hetrozygmos(sp?) the poll has a bump, homo(sp?) they have a flat head.
    Megan

6. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Well they would be heterozygous for polled because the sire was not polled. Shoot! I guess I'll just have to hold off a little longer on disbudding to see if anything pops up. Thanks!