poisoning, and now possible miscarriage - input needed

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ethan, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Ethan

Ethan Guest

Hi, I have owned my two Saanen does for only a month, and it has been eventful. Tuesday my pregnant doe (one month along) began vomiting, screaming, and thrashing on the ground. The vet gave her a bunch of shots and a Magnalax drench. Last night and today the edges of her tail have had fresh-looking blood.

The culprit for the poisoning is most likely from adding wood chips from my chipper to their pen, and one goat ate too much. Some of it may have been wild cherry, as we have it on the property. Some say this is toxic. The goats free range with me along the edge of our woods every day as I clear out junk trees, as we harvest maple syrup, and want to clear out the ironwood. Now I need to figure out if I can keep free ranging with them, if my doe is really miscarrying, and when and if to breed her this winter. My other doe is 9 months old, but small, and I am hesitant to breed her. Here she is below:
    [​IMG]

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Some toxic plants can cause goats to abort. The blood on her tail sounds like she aborted her kids. I had a doe abort a few years ago and rebred her sucessfully her next heat. I don't allow my goats to free range when they are pregnant. I'd also clean the wood chips from their enclosure. Wild cherry trees can contain cyanide. As for your smaller doe, weigh her. If she weighs 80 pounds, you can breed her. Kathie

3. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Hi Ethan,
    I hope your doe is doing well. My does have a big pasture, so maybe it could be called free ranging, and they are pregnant, but we've had no problems in the two kidding seasons they have been on this pasture. It certainly sounds as if your doe miscarried, hopefully she will come back into heat at least one more time this fall. You should know if she aborted by her coming back into heat. I'll bet they love hanging around while you clear trees out. Before we moved where we are at now we lived at another place where there was tons of brush and trees we had to remove. We fed a lot of the stuff to the goats without ever having any problems. Didn't have any cherry though, and didn't make sawdust. Black walnut is also poisonous so be wary of that. If black walnut sawdust is used for bedding horses they can founder by the next morning.
    If there are a lot of things that might be poisonous where you are clearing, maybe you could identify those trees/plants that are not harmful and bring them to the goat pen, instead of letting them range, and use don't use unknown wood chips in the pen.
    Hope they do well from now on.
    Anita

4. Ethan

Ethan Guest

Thanks. There is no black walnut on our property, and now someone brought it to my attention that the cyanide from wild cherry would have caused respiratory problems, so now I think I may be back at square one with some unknown poison in my backyard.

5. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Just when you get things figured out.....

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

The abortion can be directly caused by the doe, self aborting or not allowing implantation because of the posioning. So although your chips didn't cause the abortion, the end result was an abortion.

I would blood test her biotracking.com so you will know, so you can either try to breed her right back or if still bred feed her correctly not thinking she is a dry doe now. Vicki

7. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Wilted leaves from cherry trees are deadly. And it does not take many. Fresh leaves are OK, dried leaves are OK, but not wilted ones. Never, trim limbs from cherry and give to your goats.
    I know black walnut is supposed to be bad. But, I have never had problems with it for my goats. At times of the year they would chew the bark. It is a natural wormer, I am told.
    I hope your does does OK.
    Les