Pneumonia?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by BlueHeronFarm, Jul 9, 2008.

1. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

We have a doe that does not act sick, but has been coughing a bit. Hubby thought she had fever just by feeling her udder - it is warmer then the other does. Took her temp and it's 106. :( Do you think pneumonia? Udder is pliable, normal - milk is fine, so I don't think mastitis, but there must be some kind of infection to have that temp, no?

All we have is LA200 and Penn G - which - if either - should we give her?

We also have banamine - should we give that?
    Thanks!

OK-- edited: I checked the Sue Reith article (which I should have done before posting, sorry) and we have given banamine. Now I wonder how we decide if it IS pneumonia, and if so how you know if it's bacterial or viral. Should we try the benadryl first and see how it goes? I hate to give antibiotics if they are not needed - for resistance and milk withdrawal reasons. Thx.

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Give the banamine asap

Patty

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I would give decongestants and antibiotic now not later.

Patty

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Just like a vet would do, go over her really well. Trim her feet, and really go through them with all the rain she could have an abscess right at the coronary band, you can feel them when you press on it. Are her feet tight and perfect? Ears and teeth, does her mouth smell good, is she eating normally and not dropping grain or drooling....no smell in her ears, peroxide them and it can break the crust and you can smell infection. Watch to make sure she is cudding normally, peeing normally, poop is normal and do a fecal. Check the same colored does temp when you take hers tommorrow.

I would not think cough...fever pnemonia without something else to go on. An antihistimine also will only block histimine and will not stop a fever, and no allergic reaction is going to cause fever.

The banamine is fine, but do watch her carefully for other symptoms.

Pennicillin isn't any good for anything other than mastitis when used in conjunction with other drugs...and used profilactically (just in case) after a bad delivery or to keep wounds at bay...nothing else. Tetracycline is fine...a valuable animal I use Naxcel. Vicki

5. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Thanks, Vicki -- we'll do a good check on the stand this morning. Including another temp check - I know it can fluctuate and she may have been overheated? We did just fecal and worm her, her appetite is good. Eating and drinking well, good poops. We'll see what the rest turns up today.