Pneumonia in doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by rg1950, Jul 31, 2008.

1. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

Doe showing signs of pneumonia. Fever of 106.0. Fine yesterday, sick today. Snotty nose, congestion, off feed. She weighs 120 (according to weight tape). She either threw up or coughed up a big slime ball. I gave 1.25cc banamine (SQ), 3cc bo-se (SQ), and 4.25cc Nuflor (IM) around 1 o'clock (had to go get it from the vet first...I know I should have had it on hand) How often do I repeat this treatment and for how many days? What meds to give and how often? I couldn't find the specifics on this site. Thanks,

Is Pneumonia contagious?

Tara

2. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

It depends on the type of pneumonia if it's contagious or not. Certainly can be. Banamine is every 12 hours, bo-se not sure, I usually do a one-time dose but folks on here use it more often. Nuflor every 24 hours. I would add in Vitamin B Complex but otherwise wait and see.

3. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

She seems to be feeling better this afternoon. She was up and walking and eating hay. I will check her temp tonight and give some more banamine and some vitamin b.

Tara

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Banamine is only every 12 hours if you halved the dose or are treating for severe pain.

With all this happening your herd is having a stressor go through it. Pasteurella is in all noses of all normal healthy goats. When you have a stressor go through your herd, like the heat we are having you will loose your youngest and oldest or most stressed does (best milkers) bucks being heavily used etc. Stress drops the immunity of your goats, more so in milkers, so cocci and worms (even though previously they could easily control the burdens they had) and pasteurella overgrows and brings on pnemonia...the list is pretty long.

This type of thing is common this time of year, bet if you went back on the forum 12 months you would find someone else dealing with this. vicki

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Nufor is 3cc/100# once a day for 5 days.
    Kaye

6. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

She is doing much better. Eating again, snotty nose gone, foaming at the mouth is gone, fever has been gone, She's gonna make it. Will run fecal tomorrow to make sure no problems arise with her illness. I gave the nuflor on days 1 and 2 with no reaction from her. 3rd day (Aug 2) she screamed and cried. Don't know why it didn't seem to bother her the first 2 days. I am glad Janie told me it would burn and sting cause I would have freaked today if I hadn't known it. Thanks for all the help you guys have given me. Tara

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Because she was sick enough it didn't matter!
    Only time I will ever take a shot and not b**** and whine about it is if I'm really sick. Could care less.
    Kaye

8. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

Ok, wierd. She did fine on days 1 and 2. I gave the shot on the left side close to her shoulder on her neck. The 3rd day, I moved to the right side. She cried and screamed the 3rd day. Today (day 4) I went back to the left side and she didn't cry or scream. She is doing great and appears to have fully recovered (I know I still need to finish treatment though). I will give it on the left tomorrow. She is hanging out with the rest of the herd again and acting like her old self again. I hope the shot tomorrow don't give her the same response as day 3. I almost cried when she acted like that and my dad did cry! I am use to giving shots, and most of the time he's not there to see how they act, so it was kind of new for him.
    Tara

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

If you will give your SQ shots on the lower rib cage, about 6-8" from the elbow...you won't have to remove a sterile abcess one of these days. Where you're giving it now is also a place that CL shows and can be mistaken for a CL abcess instead of a sterile "shot" abcess.
    Kaye