please update on sand and stall mats

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Sep 4, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

With this talk of bedding and barn cleaning I want to hear how well the sand and/or stall mats are working out for those that just got them recently. I'm going to have the time of my life this winter. :nooo Our "new" barn is not going to get built after all because works been slow around here so I've got to get the shelters I do have nice and dry.
    Does sand wick moisture upwards? For example if the sand is deep and the bottom portion is wet, will the top stay dry?

2. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

I have also been thinking about this. I feel like it would be so much easier to clean out as I had to "build up" the barn floor. I am worried about the humidity or does the sand help with that? Do you put shavings on top or just sweep them out?

Judith, hope I didn't intrude. Just have been really thinking about this.

Wendy

3. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Thank you so much! I will get to reading.

Wendy

4. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I used horse stall mats in one side of my barn last winter and I hated it! It keeps the moisture on top and the bedding was always soaked and soiled twice as quickly as the dirt side. I tried bedding deeper but when I'd clean the straw was always dripping wet on the bottom

5. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Last spring, I redid a kidding stall & used sand with stall matts & shavings on top. It worked really well for me- easy to clean