Please tell me how to do this right

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by 2Sticks, Apr 11, 2008.

1. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Here's the senario, I had a FF due on March 9th. Had everything ready to whisk the kids away and raise them on CAE prevention, then right before she was due I got a call saying I needed to fly to Phoenix to pack my father (who is 92 and blind) as well as his home up and bring him back with me to live as he could no longer do for himself and his brothers health was too bad to continue taking care of him. Of course I went. My doe did not have her kids as expected on the 9th, but waited till after I was on the plane on the 12th to kid. My son and DIL cared for them while I was gone. She had 2 bucks so it wasn't as bad that they would be dam fed since they are bound for the freezer. When I got back a week later, I wormed her since I wasn't here to do it as soon as she kided so I was a little bit behind the schedule Vicki posted. Anyway, I told you all of that to tell you this....One of the bucklings is just very unfriendly and has a terrible attitude, he's made it very hard to try to worm him or do anything else since he refuses to be caught without a chase. I noticed yesterday that he had loose stool and figure I better start him on Corrid. Boy do I dread this! My question actually is.....should I treat his dam with Corrid also since he is nursing from her? He could still nurse from her right? I have a FF due in May that is with them would it be safe to treat her also.

Thanks for the help.....Tamera

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

NOPE he won't get the benefit of the corid thru dam's milk you need to get them all into a small pen and catch that bugger to treat him. This also will end up making him tamer.

3. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Thanks Sondra,
    I treated him this morning, what a fight. Have you ever had a buckling glare at you? This on does. He seems to have just come out with an attitude. I'll be looking forward to this one being in mine or someones elses freezer if his attitude doesn't change!

Tamera

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Tamera how about trapping him for good and only letting him out of the pen to nurse his dam on the milkstand twice a day? Taking him away from mom, and you taking him physically to mom to nurse on the milkstand will not only give you more milk but will also tame that little sucker down! No way do you want a buckling around like that who turns then into an unruly buck. Vicki

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'd also suggest that if he is to become meat in the long run that you wether him. Kathie

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Tomorrow is Sunday he could be dinner ;)

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

My idea too. I wouldn't wait. Butcher him like a rabbit and throw him on the pit with some of Diane's BBQ sop.

8. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Thanks everyone,
    I really appreciate all your great suggestions.

Vicki, I will remove him from his mother tomorrrow. He's not going to have the chance to become a buck, he'll be a meal first!

Kathie, We will also wether him right away.

Patty & Christine, Not a bad idea at all.

No matter how many times I catch him (breathing hard...gettng to old for this!) and hold him and pet him and talk sweet to him he tolerates it and the moment I put his feet on the ground, it's like he was shot out of a cannon. His brother is sweet and loves attention. He is being wethered already has a new home. What a difference in the two...Tamera