Please! I really need some help - disbudded kids in pain

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Keeperofmany, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Ok. My two little 24 day old bucklings horns were burnt yesterday while I was gone. My friend and my DH did them. Now late last night there was a clear liquid oozing from them and now this morning when I went out to do chores they seem like they are crying in pain. Noises like unn, unn and then maa maa. They are doing this steady. What went wrong. Please help.

Wendy

*edited by BlissBerry - title (searchable)

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

The liquid is like when we hurt ourselves and itstrying to make a scab. If they are trully in pain I would give them some banamine to help. Are they eating and peeing and pooping like normal...Some are more dramatic about it than others and some you couldnt tell they have been done. Hopefully they didnt leave the iron too long. But the banamine will help, maybe a 1/8 cc.

3. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

I can do that. I have a little bit here.

Wendy

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

The dose for Banamine is 1cc per 100#.

Sara

5. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Do you have any Fural you can spray on the bud area that was burned, I generally do that just after burning and it has a cooling affect and seems to help with quick scabbing.

Paula

6. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

No I haven't any. I called the vets this morning but they were closed. I've been told to wipe them with peroxide and then put aloe vera on them if I didn't have the spray but am reluctant to do so. I have given the binamine though. Boy their heads look bad. I feel so bad for them. I have one more a doeling that needs to be done but now I have to find someone else to do it. :down :sniffle

Wendy

7. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

I do the fural also immediately after the disbudding, and it seems to help a lot! The banamine should help some.

Sheryl

8. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

We use Solaircain and then blu-kote right after disbudding. As soon as the solaircain is sprayed, they quit crying, get a bottle, and go right back to normal.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Suriyah lives in the high desert so humidity is not an issue. You want to dry these buggers. Solarcaine is an oil based spray, not a good idea here.

Fural or silvadeen and chlorhexideen is about all you need. Give the banamine you won't believe how fast it works and how well. Vicki

10. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I can find the Fural at TSC maybe yours carries it as well. I think there is something called wound heal for people that the grocery store carries that may also help if you can't get to a TSC. I would also avoid oil based as you need it to scab. Tea tree oil would also help.

Paula

11. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Hi all. They are bouncing around and acting more normal tonight. :D Do I give the banamine again tomorrow? What is the difference between an oil based spray and Tea Tree Oil? I have Tea Tree Oil. Do I put it in a carrier to use it? Also I have Liquid Silver. Anyone can chime in here and let me know.

Wendy

12. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

i have always found Tea tree oil to be very drying...here in the land of poison oak, sumak and ivy we all use tea tree oil to dry it up once the rash begins. I would just dab some on a cloth and wipe it on, or just put some on my finger and rub it on gently. You could also dilute it a bit with water into a spray bottle...I would really need to see how tender the area is to decide.

glad they are doing so much better,
    paula

13. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

glad to hear they are recovering!

Sheryl

14. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Well this is Sunday,2:00 pm. Their heads have dried but boy are they tender. The crying has stopped unless they bump them. I have the little girl to be done so guess I now have to find someone else to do it. Thanks everyone

Wendy