Please Help. Milker sick.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Hannah's sick.

We went to a show over the weekend. (Friday-Saturday) She didn't act like she was feeling to well, she had cow type poop. Not runny but not berries either. Didn't have a thermometer with me (That was one of the things I ended up forgetting. :sigh ) I checked her temp as soon as we got home and it was normal. She seemed normal Sunday and Monday. Normal poo, ate grain, alfalfa pellets, and hay like normal. Drank and had mineral. This morning I go out to milk. She's hunched up. I thought it was just her being cold since the mornings are getting a bit chilly.
    I milked Delilah like usual. Got Hannah on the stand and she has poop covereding her butt, vulva, down her udder. Its nothing but the runs. She is either shaking or shivering. I can't tell if she's just cold or what. Her temp is 99.2. Milk production is down, I did not milk her out, I waited on that to see what you all said.

She's a 4yr old 3rd freshener.

Questions ask...I dont know if Im missing anything.

Thanks in advance!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Get her warmed up /TEMP UP and give her CMPK NOW this temp is way way too low.
    Don't milk her. Is she chewing a cud? rumminating?? would be terribly afraid she is shutting down with that temp
    I would be calling Kaye or a VET ASAP

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

What Sondra said ASAP.

4. Thanks. Vet opens in 15mintues. I have MFO Solution on hand, will that work? (Calcium Phosphorus, Magnesium Potassium Dextrose)

Another thing, there is something in her poop. Not in just one pile but a few of them. Will add a photo if a few mintues.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes give the MFO I don't know as this is the problem but can't hurt. When did you worm her last?

6. [​IMG]

How much MFO?? Doesn't say on the bottle.

She was wormed middle of May after she kidded. I was going to be worming the girls this month before breeding next month.

There are a couple of what ever those are in her poop. I kept them to take to the vet to see what they are.

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

First order is to get her temp up . Not sure on dosage but do not be shy. Injectable will work the best but use what you have til you can get it from the vet .

Hard to tell from a picture but is it bloody ?

Patty

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes 30 cc and get her temp up then worm her

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

is she eating and drinking?? chewing cud?? what abt her rumen

10. We just got back from the vets office. I told him all the symptoms and he doesn't think its milk fever b/c she hasn't freshened recently. :??? He gave us baytril & banamine shots to give her and then pills to give her daily until we get the results back from the fecal sample. Her poop has gone from runny normal color to runny brownish yellow mucousy (sp?) looking. He will call us tomorrow morning to let us know if they found anything in the fecal sample.
    Hannah is no longer shivering/shaking. I think she was shivering. She was standing in the sunshine when we came back from the vets. I am going back to the barn to finish off the chores and will retake her temperature again to see if it has came up.

Should I give her probios?
    She is drinking. But didn't want alfalfa pellets or her hay.
    I did give her the 30cc of MFO prior to going the vet.

Thanks! :)

11. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Treat her for milk fever now ! She does not have to be newly fresh to have it . It will not hurt her if that is not the problem.

As for banamine he should not have given it with her temp low.

Patty

12. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Giving the 30cc is why she is not shivering ...it is working .

What are the pills for ?

13. The pills are an antibiotic.

That is what I thought also, about them not having to be fresh to have it. I'll keep giving the MFO solution. I doubt he'll sell CMPK since he thinks she has something else.

Is MFO given 30cc every 2 hours?

14. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

I agree with Patty on the milk fever. On 101 there is a recipe for homemade CMPK. I think you actually have two different things going on here: milk fever and possible coccidiosis. From what I have read Cocci can be brought on by stress. My 2 cents for what it's worth - good luck and please keep us updated.

Anne

15. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I told him all the symptoms and he doesn't think its milk fever b/c she hasn't freshened recently.
    and then antibiotics orally?

Why didn't you call one of us, you will be lucky if you don't loose her.

I would treat her for cocci right now, get the CMPK injectable, giving it orally is not going to turn her around fast enough. B vitamins treating her for polio with this much runny poop no way is she ruminanting. And get subq lactated ringers and keep her hydrated, don't wait for her to get dehydrated.

Any goat in any time of lactation can go into milkfever when her calcium levels drop. Did you tell him you just uddered her up for a summer show? Lets get real...did you really show her with ONLY 12 hours of milk? uddering a doe up for showing in this heat is very very stressfull to her system...then before you leave home for the show you milked her out...now she has no extra calcium to readibly absorb and goes into milkfever.

When showing this time of year you have to protect your herd from pasteurella and worms and cocci...you can't just worm before breeding you have to fecal to know the doe doesn't have a worm burden before a show and when you get home afterwards.

If you simply frankly told the vet, I don't mind waiting on the fecal (and why on earth you would have to wait beyound about 10 minutes????) but I want to treat her for milkfever while I wait, and I need a lactated ringers set up also...he would really say NO? And you know if he does you need to find yourself another vet.

This doe will die with this temp if you do not get more agressive, you have to keep drugs on hand to use when you are going to show especially when you udder for summer and fall shows. Vicki

16. Hannah is doing ok. Gave her another dose of MFO Solution. Her temp has came up, 102.4. She's eating alfalfa hay. She's not 100% but she's eating and drinking. Temp is up and she's not shaking.

We called the vet, they said they dont have CMPK... But I know a dairy cattle farmer that isn't too far away. We can go over there and see if he has it or something else. Doing a search of milk fever I came up with that and the calcium gluconate 23%.

Should I continue with the MFO solution (It seems to be helping.) or talk to the dairy farmer and see what he has?

Thanks in advance.

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

see if you can get the CMPK injectable otherwise keep up the MFO