Please Help Me-Doe down with mastitis

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

I have a yearling that has mastitis - any help would be appreciated, I've never had a dry case of mastitis before. I'm desperate, she's down and not doing well. What drugs should i be giving? Thanks for any help you can give - Kristin

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

You better call Kaye or Vicki if you can't get ahold of your vet.

In the mean time if you have a bag of lactated ringers give her a couple of big fist size bubbles of fluids under the skin over each shoulder. Warm the ringers in a pot of warm water so you don't shock her by giving her cold fluids. Take her temperature and check her breathing rate, rapid, shallow?? Are you sure it is mastitis that has her down? Can you squirt out clumpy squirt cheese out her teat? What was the last time she was dewormed and with what wormer? Also, is she current on her vaccines? Any change in feed lately?

3. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

also, what is her temperature?

4. Liberty Alpines

Ok, I admit, I don't know how to take a goat's temperature. I'm rather "shy" about saying this, but actually I've had no good reason to learn- in the almost five years I've had goats they have never been sick except for a few cases of mastitis. So if someone wouldn't mind telling me how to take the temperature of a goat...that would be greatly appreciated! I think it is mastitis because when I milked some of the stuff out of her yearling udder, it was bloddy. She is shaking some. :( I use a weekly herbal wormer. No, no change in feed. Thanks everyone. Kristin

5. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Use a thermometer rectally on the doe.

6. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

shake down clean thermometer. lubricate with ky or vaseline or even olive oil, insert rectally, about 1/2 inch in wait either 3 minutes for traditional 'mercury' thermometer or until it beeps if digital. once you record the temp, wash w/soap and water, avoiding the digital part if using a digital thermometer.

is she newly fresh? blood could be from broken capilaries while the down and shaking could be from milk fever...

7. Liberty Alpines

Thanks. :) Now I know how to take a goat's temperature. :)

No, she's not fresh, she's a yearling and has never kidded. Kristin

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Who diagnosed the mastitis?

Why do you think she has mastitis if she is not fresh?

What sypmtoms?

What mastitis diagnosis have you had in the passed? What drugs cleared it?
    Did you ever culture?

Banamine should be your first thought always unless you have a subnormal temp in a kid.

I am up until at least 2am call me 281-592-3039.

But dont' call me until 9:30 am :) Vicki

9. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Kristin, I know people are trying to get back to nature and do things as natural as possible, but believe me, your goats need a chemical dewormer. (please no flames from the herbal people) The herbal dewormers especially here in the south are not effective enough. Our worm burdens are too heavy and they are too resistant for the herbal dewormers to work. Get yourself some Cydectin. It is expensive, but it will last quite a while and it is effective. Also some Valbazen. Do you have a bag of lactated ringers? Will your vet sell you any? you need the lines and an 18 ga needle also. A bag of ringers is not expensive it runs about $9.00 here. If you can't get any from your vet there are places online you can order some. Always a good idea to have a bag on hand. I have your package ready and will be mailed Tuesday. Wishing you lots of luck with your girl.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep Christine is right believe you me I would be the first on this board to use herbal wormers. been there done that and they just don't work here in the south.

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Does this doe happen to be one of the dry yearlings you were trying to get the kids to nurse?
    Kaye