Please help, doe definately not feeling well and I have no idea...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by D Bar J Acres, Apr 29, 2008.

1. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

on what's wrong with her. She freshened 3/23 with twins, buckling was sold, doeling still nursing and growing very well. I was getting 2/3 of a quart of milk out of her 2 weeks ago and then she started becoming fidgity on the stand, picking at her grain and dropped in production. I just left her out with the 4 other does that have kids with them and don't get milked (everyone is tested, negative and have never had a positive and only buy from neg. herds...) and she and her doeling would eat grain out of the feeder with the others every evening when I feed grain. However tonite, she won't come up for grain, even tried a handful of horse pellets and treats and she ignored them. She has no cough, nasal discharge, normal poop, was dewormed after kidding and again 10 days later with Ivomec. Her temp is 103. She does eat hay yet.

I gave her Vit. B and probiotic paste.

Any ideas? I've been lucky and haven't really had any sick goats.

Thanks, Jenny

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would get cmpk into her. right away. any time they drop in milk and quit eating I think hypocalcimia
    Are you feeding alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets?? if not then yep she is low in calcium and needs it yesterday

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:yeahthat You can lose a goat in a BIG hurry from hypocalcimia. Very important, like Sondra said to do something right now. There is always a chance it could be something else, but might as well be safe than sorry.

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

and maybe some banamine to settle her tummy and lower her fever...Yep CMPK right away...I lost 1 that got to where she didnt even make any milk for her babies...then she went down it was too late to do anything as she was dam raising her babies and I didnt reall tell her udder was empty and the babies were starving...She had a fuzzy udder as it was mid Feb and ddint shave it and didnt milk her either...You dont want to lose her.Good luck

5. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I had a FF that didn't want to eat much after kidding, and seemed very depressed, wouldn't hardly touch grain, and ran a fever, etc. She was getting lots of calcium, vit. b injections, wormed, etc. We figured it was a uterine infection. Vet had me flush her uterus with a weak solution of iodine, plus she got a couple of banamine shots and an antibiotic. I don't really know what helped the most, but she really started perking up after the banamine shots. She's down in weight...was bred earlier than I wanted her to be, and now has not caught up to what she should be yet, but she eats like a horse and is perky, bucking and running like a kid, etc. Lots of milk too...probably too much for her size/weight. She really had me worried there for a while, especially since I am new to kidding this year and had no idea what to expect, what was normal, etc. Hope everything works out well for you. Good luck!
    Anita

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Like Anita my first thought was uterine infection. Especially because of the being antzy on the stand. A doe my milkfever (hypocalcemia is when they are bred) won't get on the milkstand, hell most of the time you can't get them up out of their nest in the corner of the barn. Vicki

7. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

She's a mini mancha and getting free choice 2nd crop alfalfa/grass (about 75/25) mixed hay. Tested at 15% protein. I didn't have that problem with her last year or any of my other does ever.

How would I know if she's got a uterine infection? she has no discharge. She kidded 5 weeks ago.

I'll look how much CMPK to give her and go out and do that. I gave her banamine a little bit ago.

Thanks

8. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Isn't LOW temp an indication of Milk Fever or hypocalcemia, not high?

I got CMPK injectable from my vet for just over $5. (but you have to subq 30 cc every two hours night and day unless you can IV it slow over about 15 minutes - let me tell you that is a long night!)

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes Bethany as a general rule with Hypocalcemia the temp goes low but right now this doe's temp isn't high either. As for uterine infection as a suspect I would probably treat for it also.

10. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

Okay, she's still off this morning, but up and moving.

Again, how do I know if it's a uterine infection and how do I treat it?

Thanks.

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sorry but I go to the vet. When a doe has stayed long enough here to kid she is a keeper and I don't guess with the reproductive or udder part...I test. A white blood cell count that is high will show infection and my vet has majical fingers that feels an enlarged uterus when in fact I would be guessing where it is on the outside of the body.

We would lute, infuse, check the contents of the uterus and exude from it.

If she didn't perk right back up from the calicum and it is really instantaneous...although you have to stay with it to keep her perky...than move on to the next logical thing...uterine infection. Antibiotics, banamine to keep the inflammation and scar tissue down. But a diagnosis like this would be coming from my vet....or Kaye :) Vicki

12. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

minimancha? CHECK HER EARS!

We have had a doe do this, we thought uterine as it was just 3 days after kidding...she had an ear infection!

then a yr later we had a buck develop one...seemed depressed. normal to sl elevated temp. no appetite. when we checked, pus in the ear.

oxytetracycline systemically, penicillin in the irrigated/cleaned ear.