Please don't laugh

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Keeperofmany, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

But how do you get Ivomec injectable out of the bottle? :crazy

Yesterday I went to worm my goats and I had the worst time to get anything to go into the needle. DH and I were not impressed with the way things were going. I put the needle into the bottle, he held the bottle up and I pulled back on the syringe and nothing would go into it. I was using a Luer-Lok syringe, would that make a difference? Do I need something different? I still need to finish the job, PLEASE HELP. :/

Wendy

2. Corky

Corky New Member

ivamec is thicker that other stuff. Use a larger needle.
    Pull back on the plunger all the way before putting it in the bottle then push it in to put air in the bottle.
    Then when you pull back it should come into the bottle easier.

No question is a stupid one.

I give mine orally by just taking the needle off the end after drawing it out of the bottle.
    If you do this don't reuse that syrenge next time.
    Lots of folks do, including the vet. I don't. it just contaminates the whole bottle and it costs too much money to risk it.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I use a large 18 gage needle to draw out ivomec into a large 30cc syringe. Yes, you have to pull out the plunger and put air into the bottle to get stuff out. I use one needle/syringe to draw out of the bottle, and will use this to fill another syringe, the one I put in their mouths. I just draw back the syringe that I'll be giving the goats their meds with to the dosage I'm using (let's say to 3cc) and use the needle to put it into the top of the syringe and fill it that way.
    Make sense?

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:yeahthat Larger needle. Pump air in first. ....And the only stupid question is the one that is not asked. ;)

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

If you're using the plastic bottles of 200-500ml, after you've inserted a needle several times, a lure-slip syringe will go straight into the rubber stopper. Yeah, lacks a little in sterility, but since you're giving it orally and not SQ, it's not that different then inserting air into the bottle. Just wipe the syringe tip with alcohol before returning back into the bottle. Think about your 100ml bottles that suck air when you remove the needle...??? And technically to be absolutely STERILE...before you give any shots, the hair needs to be clipped surgically, area of skin scrubbed with betadine, wiped with alcohol and then shot given. Yes, needles need to be changed between goats, ALWAYS. Anyone up to that with 10+ goats to give a shot to?? Not, me! I'm swiping with alcohol,(if it's a good day) and giving the shot. IF I get the needle/syringe kicked out of my hand, then YES, I'll change needles for the sake of sterility.
    Kaye

6. LMonty

LMonty New Member

But if anyone is sick, or theres any possiblity of CAE, or CL then I really do suggest you use new needles and syringes for each animal. May not be a high likely hood of spreading the joy, but one CAE pos animal could contaminate the entire bottle.

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:really Why new syringes? And most with CAE, CL?(why are they still in the herd) already know to do these animals last.
    Kaye

8. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

It may be wasteful, but when I give injections I do it like this: If I have 5 goats that need their Cd/T and Bo-Se shots, then I get out 10 needles and 10 syringes. I go ahead and pull up 2ccs of Cd/T in 5 of them and 3 ccs of Bo-Se in the other 5. I put some ice in a zip lock baggie and stick it and all of the shots down in another bigger baggie and go to the barn. Everyone gets their own syringe and needle. I figure I don't give that many shots and they aren't that expensive.

9. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Like everyone else said.. just inject some air into the bottle first...
    I know that when I ordered a 250 ml bottle of it... I could not get that stupid little cap off of it if my LIFE depended on it! ;) Hubby and I tried and tried.. and said lots of bad words.. but FINALLY we were able to pry that thing off, and get to the wormer! Good luck!

10. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. now maybe I can get this done. I was going to use the same needle but on a seperate syringe for each goat. I am giving it orally so the needle is not going to be touching the goats.

Wendy

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

If you are doing it that way...then leave the needle in the bottle and pull (luer slip) or twist (luer lock) the syringe off. This will let in air and not put as many holes in the rubber. When you're through, remove the needle and recap.
    Do this a lot worming the horses orally.
    Kaye

12. LMonty

LMonty New Member

re: same syringe- most people inject air into the bottle each time they withdraw. As you inject air, contaminated body fluids could get in the bottle too. Even amounts we cant see withthe naked eye can put virus into that medicine. I dont know the number of virions it takes to create infection, but even one strikes me as a risk I would want to avoid. So I may be more careful on that than most people would think necessary, but it feels right to me, its where my comfort level is.

13. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

With CAE in my herd, I always use a new needle and syringe. They are not that expensive...plus I know for a fact a new needle is sharper and causes less pain, and goes in easier. We used to reuse needles all the time with cows, probably still would, but with goats and their tendency to get abscesses the new stuff works better for me.