Plastic Milk Jugs

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by coso, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Katarina

Katarina New Member

before i started getting ours from bordens we ordered them from dahl tech. very nice people.

2. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

check with a local water store... we get the 1gal ones with lids through ours... now my dh works there... but check.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Any idea on were one might find them in N.Texas? I just love Dahl-Tech, but gee wiz! the shipping is now more than the jugs are! :sigh

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

email Janie she has the address and is in Cleburne I think.

5. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Just a thought on milk jugs. We use recyled jugs from friends and family who buy them that contain distilled water etc. I do not re-use jugs that have had milk, juice or tea in them because of odors and bacteria.

6. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I used to do jars, but then I ended up using the dishwasher more often getting those (many) suckers clean.. I tried getting friends & family to bring back 'clean' jugs, as I was tired of washing everything, but some of those came back (don't know where they were storing them) with small bugs in them.. so I went the "new container" way...
    I thought there was a place near Sulfur Springs, but for some odd reason, I can't seem to find any milk jug manufacturers on google.. :/

7. susie

susie New Member

Anderson plastics in Washington is where alot of people I know get them

Andersen Plastics

305 E Main St
    Battle Ground, WA 98604
    (360) 687-7171

8. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Stacy, there's a manufacturer in Sherman. Consolidated Containers 4201 Hwy 75 S, phone: 903/870-7080 - ask for Todd. They make jugs in all sizes.

9. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

10. coso

coso Guest

Thanks for all the suggestions I'm still trying to find the cheapest route to get them. The quote I got from Dahl Tech they will cost me about .75 cents a piece. A guy is supposed to call me back from Springfield, MO and see if they can sell me some.

11. coso

coso Guest

We use glass at home too. This would be to sell milk in so you wouldn't have to fool with people returning glass jars. :/

12. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

As long as they are food grade and you don't use them but once...not one problem.
    Kaye

13. Pairaka

Pairaka Guest

I use the glass half-gallon mason jars, too, but mostly I use the half-gallon, uh...What is it? PET plastic juice jugs. Because it's PET (the clear, rigid plastic), after a good, hot wash, there's no oder and they hold up to repeated uses. I don't like to reuse them, but since we just use them for ourselves, and we chuck them whenever they start showing any signs of "not-niceness" (cloudiness, warped necks, etc). I prefer the glass half-gallon mason jars, but they're seasonal and for the last two years, I've been buying up every case that I've could find, but so far, that's only been about 5 cases. :D The juice jugs are easier to come by when we need extras.

I wish I could afford to buy new jugs but right now it just isn't cost effective since the state of Tennessee requires that you build a literal DAIRY plant in order to sell milk (and heaven forbid that you should try to sell it RAW and try to POISON people :mad) and we can't sell it. (end rant) I do give some away/trade with some friends and they've given me jugs before (saved store bought milk jugs) but good grief, do people not know that you can't leave a lid on a container with water in it or you'll get mold in there??? Yuck.

'Sides, for our own use, I don't particularly care for the plastic that milk jugs are made out of. It's too flimsy. :)

-- Wendy

14. Pairaka

Pairaka Guest

I ordered some of these a couple of years ago. The price of the bottles has not gone up in the interim, but I'm not sure what shipping is. They're nice bottles (though I wish they had square ones), if anyone is looking for another source.

$13.50 for a case of 8.

Sunburst also designs labels.

http://www.sunburstbottle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1992/.f

15. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

There is a place in Dallas that sells them... I'll ask dh... we have an order in for 2 *sleeves* this weekend... they can't fit many in the truck... :(

I prefer the glass half-gallon mason jars, but they're seasonal and for the last two years, I've been buying up every case that I've could find, but so far, that's only been about 5 cases.

Go in to your local Ace hardware they will order them for you! No extra charges... they ship to the store and you pick up... dh just ordered me 4 cases this week... I do not use them for milk (too heavy/hard to handle), but I store my bulk herbs in them....

16. buckrun

buckrun New Member

We use the half gallons too and make our customers buy them! When they start with us they pay me 3 dollars a jar for the amount of milk they want each week and that helps cover the cost of washing for them. They bring them back clean each time they pick up more and I run them thru the dishwasher with a splash of bleach or a dash of hi chlor dairy soap. I hate the idea of contributing to more everlasting plastic trash and my elderly ladies love having to only lift a half gallon and they get to skim the cream for coffee if they want.

Lee

17. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

My customers don't like the gallon plastic jugs they are too heavy, especially frozen. They also don't like glass, to slippery and they don't have a handle. That is why we started using the 1/2 gallon plastic jugs from Dahl Tech originally, now we just get them from Oak Farms a milk distributor near us that makes them for themselves and sells to the public also. Vicki

18. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Here's a place in Dallas that we purchased from for years, but found much cheaper sources. Specialty Foods
    214/358-2441 - jugs in all sizes.

19. coso

coso Guest

I found out I can get them from Highland in Springfield, MO for .30 a piece as long as I buy a case which is 48. I may get some 1/2 gallons too. They probably would be easier for people to handle.

20. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

The 1/2 gallons are not only easier to handle, but they chill and freeze quicker and pack into ice chests much better.