Planning Pedigrees

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by VickiLynne, Sep 25, 2008.

1. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Do any of you use this feature on the ADGA website? If so, how high or low do you go with the inbred percentages?

Thanks,
    Vicki in NC

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I asked a well known breeder this same question a couple years ago and he told me that between 5% and 10% is a good span.

Then again you have people who breed son back to dam and half brother to sister who are willing to take a risk to get a desired trait. I have bred Father to daughter with good results but naturally the inbred % was high.

If I breed my Sydney to Sodium Oaks Xspurt that is 13.49% inbred which I consider acceptable for the traits I want to bring out.
    A few others, Cambrell to Renoir is 4.38% inbred, still acceptable but more of an outcross.
    Then Sophie to Sand Dance Rico Suave is 6.77% inbred, Sadie to Willow Run Atlas Ransom is 10.16% inbred.

Probably lots of different answers to this one because different breeders view this differently. I do not profess to be an expert, but maybe some of the experts here have a more definite answer.

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yes, I do. Mostly to see what the pedigree will look like in the first 3 generations. As far as % contributed by XX...I use it to see what type of animal is contributing the most desirable traits. I've got some here...my best...that are somewhere between 21 & 35%. Don't pay much attention to that.
    Kaye

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And the advice would likely be different for your Nubians compared to your Saanens. Vicki

5. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Thanks for the replys Ladies.

Vicki in NC