planning for winter hay?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by trob1, May 29, 2008.

1. trob1

trob1 Guest

I am going today to look at some hay and am wondering from those that use rolled hay how much to plan for. I have 9 full grown Nigerian dwarf does and am keeping 5 doelings from spring. I also have 1 full grown buck, 2- 4 month old bucklings and am keeping 2 little bucklings from spring. I used one roll of hay last year that lasted a month and half but this year I will have more goats and better hay. These rolls I am looking at will be orchard grass and lespadeza mix 4 x 5 rolls. How many should I plan for?

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Lets see . An 800 lb round bale has about 15 square bales in it. I fed roughly 40 square bales to about 6 ND's last winter , and I kept a lot of hay out for them most of the time. I fed it until I ran out sometime in April, and had to go pay $10 a bale for 2 crappy looking bales at the feed store. ( but I only needed about 2 bales). I'll let you do the math on how it went for me down here. I think you would do close to the same.

BTW- your being smart.....getting your hay up now, and it never hurts to have a little extra. Trying to buy good hay in late winter/early spring is a bad joke.

Hope I helped some.

Whim

3. trob1

trob1 Guest

Thanks that does help. I wasnt sure how much hay was in a round bale. I usually try to have 100 bales in the loft by July every year but this year I have a place to put a round bale out of the weather so it stays nice and dry so I am gonna try that. Those sqare bales are killing my back and I aint gettin any younger.

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

FYI ---- Most of these hay cutters around these parts try to make a square bale (grass hay) that weighs between 50 to 60 lbs. .......and best that I remember, a roll 4 x 5 weighs about 800 lbs.

We tore one of those (I think a 5x6 round) a little larger apart one time, and run it through a square baler, and it baled 19 square bales.

Whim