Planned Pedigree Q's

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Little Moon, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Do any of you use the planned pedigree tool on the ADGA website? Is there an optimum % range for line breeding? Or inbreeding? I am curious if anyone can explain (in plain English) the difference between linebreeding and inbreeding? I think I get it, but need some help.

Thanks,
    Anne

2. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

The way I understand it...
    Line Breeding: Example: Sire to Daughter OR Grandsire to granddaughter

In Breeding: Example: Half brother to sister

Line breeding goes down the line, In Breeding can jump across on the same level, siblings, cousins, that sort of thing.

I think I got that right.

Kim

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

linebreeding is when it works

inbreeding is when it does not :biggrin

only joking.

Patty

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl That's exactly what I was going to post, Patty!
    I use the planned pedigree but not the inbreeding %. I check to see what % which animal is contributing to the breeding. This kinda' tells me which animal I can expect to add faults and which I can expect "wanted" traits from. Then it all comes down to "the roll of the dice" in genetics. Now, when we get to the point that we can pick and choose how we want those genetics to line up...WE can create the SUPER GOAT!

I use three tools in deciding breedings 1. LA scores 2. heritability chart 3. my eye. If there's a major fault in an animal that I know is a high heritability and the doe has the same trait...that breeding isn't happening.

And a lot of it is just plain luck and the ability to cull stock that doesn't suit me.
    Kaye