pitiful looking baby

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ali923, Aug 19, 2008.

1. ali923

ali923 New Member

okay, this doeling I have was born in march, about the same time as all the other babies. She has a brother too. She is now about half the size of the size of the other doelings in the pen with her. Her brother has grown just fine though. She was really tiny when she was born and seemed to be growing normally, always behind the others though. I have seen quads grow better than her though and she was about the size of a quad. SHe has been fed and wormed just the same as the others too. She does eat and run with the others, but sometimes she just seems so pititful looking and doesn't have the flesh that the others do. What is up with her? Anyone have a clue?
    allison

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

What do you use for cocci prevention/treatment? Dose?

What are you deworming your babies with? Dose?

Is she weaned? If so, when?

What type of hay and grain are you feeding her?

What's her temp?

We need more information in order to help you.

Sara

3. ali923

ali923 New Member

sara,
    temp-102.4
    weaned-june
    hay-bahia
    grain (with coccidiostat/cocci preventative)-goat pellet dx from coop
    dewormer- cydectin (wormed last month)
    she has no diahrea (how in the world do you spell that-i can never remember) and never has
    oh and she has also had a runny nose on and off
    allison

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

My concern is the lack of cocci prevention and now treatment. Kids have a difficult time consuming enough of the medicated pellet for it to be effective. Until they are eating enough they need to be on prevention. If it were my doeling I would treat her for coccidia.

How much does she weigh?

When was her last BoSe injection?

I'm up north and I am not familar with the type of hay you are feeding. She should be getting alfalfa hay or at least alfalfa pellets for calcium.

I think you have cocci issues in this doeling and quite possibly nutritional problems in your feeding program.

Sara

5. ali923

ali923 New Member

If that is the case then why are all the other does thriving, that's what I don't understand. They are all treated the same way and she is the only one not right. I will weigh her when I go outside. I've used cydectin before on 5-6 mos old babie, why is that a bad thing? Do you give BoSe to all your babies? I haven't given BoSe to anybody here, only one that was pretty sick. The hay is a grass hay.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well just as some people have poor immune systems so can some goats. but I have to agree with Sara on this as the cocci meds in a pelleted feed just isn't going to get it. Who is to say that ea goat gets it's designated amount to keep the cocci at bay. Yes here everyone gets BoSe at birth and also parents get BoSe twice a year as routine.

7. ali923

ali923 New Member

I guess I am so out of the loop of knowledge cause I just recently heard about bose and I didn't realize it was so important to give it to all the goats. So treat her for cocci and you think that should help? I know you are all believers in corid, but all i have is albon right here.

8. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Albon will work just fine. I used it in the past for treatment. You will have to look up the dose though because I don't remember. :blush

Is this doeling at the bottom of the pecking order? You might need to give her a little extra feed or separate her so that she can eat by herself. It could be that she does not eat as fast as others so not getting her share. Maybe add some calf mana for additional protein. And I agree that they need alfalfa to grow. Mine are getting alfalfa pellets and medicated pellets. I try to keep some out at all times for the babies, of course I only have 2 so that they can get all they want.

And what about tape worms? I am not sure if cydectin gets them or not but know they can cause problems in kids. (Just a thought)
    Theresa

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

nope cydectin doesn't get tapes need Valbazen or white wormer for tapes
    and yep I used Albon for years

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Allison
    I have been thinking abt this most of the afternoon and you best treat all these kids for cocci if all your doing is feeding medicated grain. Cocci is the silent killer and cause for most deaths and unthriftyness that happens with kids. It eats away at their stomach lining and thus they can't absorb thier food. You won't necessarily see diarrhea or problems until too late, unless you do regular fecal cks and use cocci prevention with either a sulfa drug or corid. on a regular basis

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Ok...I had the same thing going on with a "free" Obie doeling. Born late May, really tiny (21#) when I got her in July...breeder assured me they don't have coccidia/HC problems...???? Suppose to be desert ...yeah, right! When I got her home...did a fecal~ Arrrggghhh, loaded with cocci and HC (barberpole).
    Put her back on milk, treated her with Sulfadimethoxine, and wormed her. I also started putting Decox-M in her milk. I've had her since July...she's up to 46#'s, as big as her pen mate- also a May kid (Togg). Her hair has gone from ratty looking (YUCK), to soft, shiney laying flat. She's putting on weight and covering bones and now has the energy to leap off the side of the barn and be a general PITA! Her fecals are showing clean on cocci and parasites. I also put her on grain and free-choice alfalfa...so everything that's been done to her has made a drastic improvement in this nasty looking, small, skinny kid.
    What a turn around. She'll be added to the show string this fall, she's made that much of an improvement.
    Kaye

12. ali923

ali923 New Member

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I have started her on albon, but I don't have enough to treat all the other babies right now but I will get some more and treat the rest. I am giving her probios too, I figured it would hurt. I have also started mixing alfalfa pellets with their feed. Hopefully I start seeing some positive results in the near future. Thanks again.
    allison

13. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

Kaye,
    You said you have been putting Decox M in her milk. How much do you put in? Is it by amount of milk or size of goat?
    (Took me a few minutes to figure out what PITA was.. Funny!)

14. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I haven't figured the EXACT mg/kg on Decoxx-M. I just used a dose told to me by a Lamancha breeder(I admire her stock's growth & apperance) and with fecals on babies for the last 3 yrs., tweaked it to work for me.

1/2 teaspoon per kid twice a day- from day 5, until they are 3 weeks old. By then they are on the lambar. I then go to 1 tablespoon per kid twice a day until they are 12 weeks or weaned.
    So far this year...with this and Corid treatments(after weaning) my kids-all but one- have had really low to no coccidia.
    The one kid I fought coccidia in for two weeks and finally treated her with Dimethox powder and as of two weeks ago she's showing one or two eggs per fecal. She never really developed scours or looked unthrifty...just her fecals showed more eggs than I was confortable with.
    kaye

15. ali923

ali923 New Member

No I never put decox m in any of the babies milk. All our babies usuually do great on milk, it's when we finally wean them is when the problems sometimes arise. The only preventative we use is the feed, unless we see diahrea and we can't get it cleared with dewormer and/or slippery elm or something like that. I just try to use as least amount of meds as possible. Sometimes it seems the meds I use the more it doesn't work when you really need it, same with wormer. And, I don't know what PITA is, please inform me. :)

16. ali923

ali923 New Member

Do you have to get that decoxx-m from a vet, or can you order it through jeffers? Is it expensive?

17. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I now see what the problem is with your kids. No cocci prevention. The meds in the feed won't work until they are quite a bit older and consuming enough of it to work.

You NEVER want even ONE case of scouring in babies. If you kids scour then the damage has been done.

You really need to rethink your management practices. They are not up to par to be able to raise healthy kids who in turn are healthy adults.

Your comment regarding resistance has no value since you aren't even using anything now. Your logic just doesn't hold water, especially since you have at least one ill, unthrify kid. Prevention is key. Don't wait until you have major problems and then try to deal with it.

Deccox-M can be purchased at Jeffers or the like. The cost is about $45 per 5# bag plus shipping.

PITA is not something I allow to be spelled out on a public forum. :)

Sara