PINKEYE

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Tim Pruitt, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

A friend of mine called saying that some of their goats have the pinkeye. It started in the “human” family (their children) and now has spread to the goats. The first one noticed was already glassy in one eye before they caught it. That goat was isolated and has been treated with a tobramycin drops from the vet but they have used that up. Another vet recommended Furolsole as a spray. Thinking that would be easier they used that but the eye is really swollen now – possibly from the goat scratching it. Now other goats are coming down with it. Since the Vet’s office is closed for today, I was wondering if regular Penn G or the non sting variety of LA-200 (Biomycin -200) would work in the eye. I didn’t know so I told them I would ask the group.

2. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

I have heard that lots of people use LA-200 with great results. I haven't tried it myself (thankfully have only dealt with one goat with pinkeye, years ago!).

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep tetracyline cover the eye or keep inside out of the sun. couple drops in the eye

4. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Sondra,
    Do you mean you could draw up some Biomycin and drop a few drops in the eyes? I am supposing it wouldn't sting?

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

right as long as it isn't LA200. keeping the eye covered is really kind of a must too because the sun really really hurts them.

6. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

They say that they are keeping her in a dark barn.

7. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I would also give the goats some Biomycin by injection. They should be able to find the Terramycin Ointment at TSC or any feed store. It adheres to the eye and not as easily blinked out as liquid.
    Very important that they sterilize their hands between goats - it is very contagious. Had some friends who battled pinkeye in their herd for 3 months, because they were careless about their hands, wiping hands on clothes and just spreading everywhere after doctoring the animals. When I finally convinced them how it was being spread, they started being careful and got it knocked out.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

right plus they can get it themselves

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Injected won't do anything, it is for cattle. Goats don't get the bovine form of pinkeye, why the vaccination also doesn't work.

Putting it into a spray bottle is much easier...walmart carries little spray bottles.

Goat Medicine warns about using anything powdered (pinkeye puffer) or aresole, you can actually do harm to the eye (with the swelling it's likely what happened).

Spraying also gets your fingers away from the eye.

Honestly the best thing I have ever used was the gentemycin spray jeffers used to sell, now with the milk and meat withdrawals on gent...it's off the market (which is ridiculous since spraying it in the eye is not harming milk or meat :)

But pinkeye is really about keeping secondary infection at bay, because nothing cures it, it has to run it's course. Through the goats and through the family :) Vicki

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin Make your own gentomycin spray. 1cc gent. to 16cc of Visine. ;)

Uh, just a word of caution....make dang sure you lable the bottle of MIXED Visine...or you end up with pinkeye when you use the one intended for the goats! DON'T EVEN ASK!
    Kaye

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

See Kaye that is what I mean by how my mind works...or doesn't work. I bought the pig gent in Jeffers to fill my little spray bottle :) Figured it was soo diluted I could use it straight ;) Vicki

12. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol Well, that will work and you don't have to worry about getting the bottles mixed up!
    Kaye

13. eliya

eliya New Member

I have used Melaleuca triple anti-biotic ointment on goats, cats and humans with great success. It can be put straight on the eye and doesn't hurt much. It clears pink eye up pretty fast.

14. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

There is a Rx item that is this same exact mix ~ BNP is what it's called. Works great on pinkeye or scratches to the cornea...BUT, it's also about $15 a tube and one tube is less than an ounce.

Neosporin works great too. ;)
    Kaye

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I personally use Neosporin because 100yrs ago my pediatrician had me use it on my two legged kids a dab in the corner of the eye works good.