pink milk issue.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

To start I know why my FF has pink milk but it is not clearing up.

This is the doe that had the false pregnancy.

I put a doeling on her to help increase the milk supply but when the milk turned pink she quit nursing.
    Heck I don't blame her.

I have been milking her twice a day. Was three times a day but it hasn't worked out that she is back from pasture when I have the time to milk her.
    I just milk at regular chore time and she is increasing but slowly and it is still very pink.

Is there anything I can do to help her heal up inside faster?

I really do need the milk this year as I only have one other goat that I am milking.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Try some banamine and also high doses of vitamin C they both help with inflammation. Vicki

3. feistygoatwoman

feistygoatwoman New Member

I actually just went through this with my new doe. She had pink milk due to a blood vessel bursting in her bag (I think she got head butted by my herd queeny). It wasn't clearing up and it wasn't clearing up. I milked both sides into different buckets to isolate the side. I called my vet and she told me to milk her once a day. (She was also use to that because her previous owner only milked once a day, I milk twice.) She said since it was a blood vessel the more I milked her, the more agitated it would get. So, I milked her in the morning on a Sat, milked her on Sun morning, and my Monday morning her milk was white again. I don't like to milk only once a day but the rest in between milking seemed to help it heal. I struggled for a week or so with pink milk milking her twice to three times a day. It is just a suggestion. It worked for me and it did come from my vet.

Hope things clear up soon!!!

4. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

We had a similar deal, but our doe is a boer cross and we were drying her up. So I skipped two days which was not big deal for her milked and then skipped two more days. All looked good last night when I did a few test squirts to check things out.

Guess I just got lucky.

5. Corky

Corky New Member

I juat hate cutting milkings as I am trying to get her to produce enough milk to make my struggles with those dang FF teats worthwhile but.
    I gave her a banamine shot last night and will give her another one today but the bleeding was worse this morning. it is now dark pink milk. BLAST!

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Ok just really basic stuff...

Make sure with her teats smaller you are only grabbing teat and not udder tissue when you milk.

Give her some bo-se perhaps stimulate her immunity. During lactation the girls are at their lowest immunity.

Are there natural sources of vitamin K to check the bleeding?

Do you feed soy, calf manna or perhaps can you get some clover hay etc..perhaps with some natural estrogens in her diet, since she didn't come into milk "normally".

Think about running a milk test.

Vicki

7. Corky

Corky New Member

:blush2 OOPS! I do grab udder when I milk her. I can't get my hand on those tiny teats.

I use a small amount of manna in my feed mix.
    One pound per three gal bucket of feed.

8. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

Banamine can be a blood thiner like Aspirin.
    I learned it when I was cutting boys to castrat thought some banamine would help ( NOT) glad to use bands now no more cutting. :nooo
    Fran

9. Corky

Corky New Member

Update on Penni's pink milk issue.

Banamine did make her bleed more so I stopped using that and wint with the suggestion from another of you...feistygoatwoman I think.

I started skipping the evening milking and as Vicki instructed I was very careful to NOT grab any udder while milking.

Did I say I HATE those tiny teats?

I knew it would take a few days but after only two days now there was hardly any blood in the milk.

Of course there is going to be a lot of blood after skippint the first time as she was bleeding when I had last milked her and it was still in there. There was still some bleeding in the next one but this morning there was just a slight tint.

She is also still increasing production even though I am skipping milkings.

Thanks everyone! :biggrin

10. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Pink milk is often caused by miking too rough or grasping too high on the udder. Glad you figured out what you were doing wrong.