Pink color to milk??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by feistygoatwoman, Jul 16, 2008.

1. feistygoatwoman

feistygoatwoman New Member

This evening when I went out to milk, my nubian/togg doe's milk looked a little pink. Her milk is usually cream. I compared the milk from this morning to her milk this evening and it is pinky/peach. What does this mean? What should I do? I am a little worried.

:help

Thanks,

Amber

2. feistygoatwoman

ps- her milk this morning was cream. It was only a pink color this evening.

3. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

This is not the only thing it can be, but I've had blood vessels pop. I usually take her out of the drinking milk rotation for 2-3 days. When you let the milk sit for about a day the blood will settle at bottom. That is my very unscientific way to know when to let her come back into the milk line.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Lots of waiting and watching in goats. Like Wendy said this can be normal burst capilaries under the skin as she increases in her milk. It can be an injury which once again you wait and watch for it to heal. Or it can be the first sign of mastitis, but blood in the milk mastitis is horrific and you will know by tommorrow if this is what it is, she will be ill, the udder will be hot and the milk by tommorrow will be alot worse than pink.

Get back with us tommorrow on how she is.

Anyone new milking? vicki

5. feistygoatwoman

Well, she is not sick. Her bag is not hot, hard, no clots, no flakes. Her milk is still bloody, only on one side. I milked the sides into different cups. She is acting normal;playing and doing normal goat things. So, this is not mastitis??? I called the vet and she told me to give her 3 cc's of Pennicylin (m.s?? sorry!). Give me any other suggestions if you can!

Amber

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would just milk her. It will resolve itself or she will come down with a fever. Pennicillin will not go into the udder and help with anything, it will kill beneficial bacteria in her rumen. Without a hot udder, or a temp in the doe, you can't fix this anyway. Just watch her and keep milking her like normal. Look closely all over the other for puncture marks, or a bruise. I would shave her so you can see better. Vicki

7. feistygoatwoman

Thanks! I was only giving her pennicillin because the vet told me to do that for a few days. She is still acting fine, but her milk still has blood in it. I will shave her today and see if I can see a bruise or anything.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Vicki is right and I also wouldn't give pen now. but when did this doe freshen?? it may just be from capillaries as said before. Take her temp every day at the same time for a few days.

9. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Blood in the milk can also be caused by milking too rough or too high on the udder. Try being more gentle with this goat when milking and also make sure you are not reaching up high on the udder when you milk.

10. feistygoatwoman

Thanks for all the advice. Her milk was clear this morning. I am pretty sure it was broken capillaries. I am thinking since I had just gotten her that my milking was a little rough for her. I was use to milking my wild and crazy alpine!!! I changed my style. Everything seems to be fine now. I was worried for a while.

Thanks again!

Amber