Pine trees OK for prego does??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Good Goats, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Hi ya'll,

I have a medium sized pile of pine tree branches from my aunt and uncle's place. Is it okay to feed this to my pregnant does? I have heard that it is okay and that it is not okay :/. I think it is some kind of a cypress pine. Anybody know?? Of course they won't be getting a lot of it at once (plus there are, 21 does in the pen so it doesn't go too far anyway).

Thanks much!!
    Suriyah

P.S. - Oh and by the way, the does are in all different stages of pregnancy.... one going to probably kid tonight or tomorrow to some not due until the end of May.

2. GallopingGoats

GallopingGoats New Member

I feed my preg. goats evergreeens and never had a problem. I would think that as long as they aren't making complete pigs of themselves there is nothing to worry about. Shannon

3. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I've heard both sides of this story as well. I do not fed pine to my pregnant goats. I think if goats are used to eating it, it probably won't hurt them. My goats don't have any pine trees in their living environment, so I wouldn't introduce a new food that is controversial for pregnant does.

5. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

We have fed it to our goats before, just not since they've been pregnant. Hmmm.....

6. Ashley

Ashley New Member

My doe last year ate plenty of them through her pregnancy and delivered healthy twins.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

With them likely not used to the large amount of acid in pine needles (or anything they are not used to) I wouldn't go giving them a whole pile to eat. I would give them a branch today and another tommorrow, just for snacking. Change isn't good, especially now when their stomachs are more sluggish and smaller because of the growth of the kids in utero. Vicki

8. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Thanks Vicki, and Ashley!