Pimple on an udder? Picture added

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Gunnie, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Gunnie

Gunnie Member

My milking goat has a pimple like thing on her udder. It popped and took a while to stop bleeding. It is all round and almost reminds me of a pimple or blood blister. What would it be? It is on the side. I will try to get pictures later when its time to milk again.

2. Rose

Rose New Member

Re: Pimple on an udder?

Do you have chlorhexaderm? Spray it a couple of times per day, and REALLY keep an eye on it.

I've had staph start on mine like that.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

could be staph could be a bite that turned ugly. but staph will also get in that so keep it clean and treated. No oily greasy stuff the chlorhexderm /peroxide etc.

4. Gunnie

Gunnie Member

I cleaned it and put peroxide on it. Where can I get chlorhexaderm? I went to tsc and family farm and home and they dont have it.

They had other antibiotic sprays but all said not to use around an animal if you are going to consume milk.

5. garnettmama

garnettmama Guest

I am having an issue with this as well. Where can i get chlorhexaderm? What else to do if it is staph gone wild? I have a goat that we got about 4 weeks ago. She arrived with tons of scars and a few sores on her udder. I figured they were infected bug bites and didn't worry about them too much. Over the next couple weeks the number of them exploded. they are on her udder and in between her legs. They start off as red bumps (just like a pimple). Then fill with pus (not clear) and eventually scab over. PLEASE tell me what to do as we are now dumping 3/4 a gallon a day from her as at this point i don't even want to drink her milk.

I contacted the previous owner and she said she thought they were bug bites... - there is NO way this is the cause.

Thanks,
    Deb

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

try and iodine wash or order your Cloro off the net. Also start vaccinating with Lysine

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I usually get the generic chlorhexidine (by Durvet)from Western Ranch Supply because it's cheaper, but most feed and pet stores carry it under the name of Nolvosan. Western Ranch has a website you can order the generic stuff from. They also have lots of other stuff I use for my go, such as generic ivermectin cheaper than places like Caprine Supply. Kathie

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Re: Pimple on an udder? pic added

[​IMG]

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

also you may need to use a strong med such as Naxel and RX given in conjunction with the cleaning.
    Now when I had this problem Sue Reith advised me to use BoSe every day for 10 days along with pen g Which worked at the time but this goat would get the durn stuff every year. The best was last years treatment with the BoSE and the clorohexiderm(SP?) wash every day.

10. garnettmama

garnettmama Guest

thank you so much for the info!! i have been really stressed about this... and sad that our new milker is such a mess.

so, is the milk safe to drink? i hate dumping it, but her udder is so nasty, i literally lose my appetite!!

also, would the Lysine vac stop or prevent this?

thanks again,
    deb

11. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

If you are concerned about drinking the milk when using the chlorhexadine you could use a very diluted bleach water sprayed on the udder instead. We have used this in the past on our doe that gets it every year when the chlorhexadine just wasn't working for her. Unfortunatly you will probably see this every year on this doe and even on her offspring at some time just because they will be more susceptable to it. We still have our doe that is very susceptable to it and she is a awsome doe that is going on 9 and if I could make 10 more like her I would.
    I sure wouldn't get too stressed about it and know that your new girl should be fine given a little time. :D
    Mary

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would not use this milk from this doe also use rubber gloves this is Staff you can catch it and milk her last
    Have to say that the bleach water didn't work for me

13. garnettmama

garnettmama Guest

we got her for the sole purpose of her being in milk.....yikes.

i guess i will just focus on getting her better and then figuring out what to do with her. :sigh

thanks, deb

14. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Could stress from being moved caused this to flair up?

Deb, I don't have Naxcel, i have bio-mysin and nuflor...

Can she use either of those?

Welcome Deb....told you these folks could help!!

Paula

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

don't know abt your area but here we had rain from hurricanes and damp/wet moist conditions cause it Nuflor is a big gun also but you need to get an opinion from Kaye or Vicki not just me. so pm them

Paula this could have maybe started with a bug bite and then turned to staff, moving and stress could bring on lower immunity possibly but I doubt it. Staph is everywhere in everyones ground that is why we use lysine so as not to get staph mastitis.

16. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

It sounds to me like she already had this staph infection when she arrived to her new owner...

I would give the doe BoSe and start her on injectable antibiotics along with cleaning the infected area daily.

Sorry you have to deal with this on a recently purchased animal. The person you bought this doe from should have had this cleared up prior to selling her.

Sara

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

This is a good lesson for people All of us tend to be blind sited. Look for things like this and don't take bug bite as the gospel. I had two does that had bug bites on the back of their neck terrible looking Nope I didn't take them to a show or try to sell them. But there are people that do both.

18. garnettmama

garnettmama Guest

We haven't had any rain - drought actually.

She absolutely had this when she arrived - including tons of scars from this happening way before i got her.

Could transporting her with other goats have caused a staph mastitis issue with the other goats she was transported with? (I am not sure i want to know the answer to this.)

thanks, deb

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Could have, but am inclined to believe with all the scars this goat was prone to getting it every year like mine and eftoggs It also has to do with low immune system so get her treated / use the lysine and be prepared next year to handle it over again. have the clorohex stuff ready and waiting. This cleared it up the fastest for me after tying many many things.