Pig panels are apparently NOT tall enough!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Jan 25, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

My baby goat are has pig panels on 2 sides, a wall on the 3rd, and a counter/bar on the 4th.

The bar is higher than the pig panel...

one of the baby goats just got up on the bar!!!!!!!!!!

:help2 :help2

I am NOT ready to move them out... looks like I need to work on...

"raising the bar" so to speak. :lol

CRUD.

2. Truly

Truly New Member

:rofl

oh dear

3. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Flying or climbing baby goats, oh no! They're having fun, and you can take that as an indication that they're healthy. :p

4. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Should have known.... this is one of my part nubian girls (25%).... Stella

5. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Reminds me of the time that tiny little Franny the Freaky Housegoat went through the wire and ended up high on a cement thing in the Big Boer Buck pen. I SCREAMED for my hubby and we got her out. How do they do these things???

6. goatmom

goatmom New Member

OK Lynn - are you filming this for us?? LOL Last year 2 of our Nubian kids would constantly run across their pen and literally bounce off the side of the barn so my son caught it on the camera one day -when I went back and looked at the 1 min video I was shocked - the spot they were hitting was 5 ft up on the barn - they were tiny-must be springs in those little hooves!

7. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Yikes, climbing goats in the house...sounds like my two year old son...
    Autumn

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Don't go blaming her Nubian blood, mine stay just fine in their hog panel pens until they are released from prison into the baby barns! Or maybe think of it this way she is just smarter due to her Nubian blood :) Vicki

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well all I can say is that the PART nubians are the worse climbers in the world and I won't raise anymore mini nubs because of it. couldn't keep them in 5 ft 4x4 panels either.

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

At my house, when the kids are big enough to climb out of their totes and start running around the house, it's time to go outside to the baby pen. That's one of the reasons we don't have January babies here. That must be one agile little kid. Mine have never been able to get over the hog panels. The only reason we made the fencing on the baby pen taller is because we learned the neighbors dogs could jump the hog panels.

11. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

LOL 1 jumped out of his 18gal tote at about 6hrs old...

12. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

My 1st born kids somehow got on top of a 4ft high fiberglass hut at 2 weeks old, fell off & broke her leg....this is a Nigerian so not a tall goat :). She's always been so athletic & is my goat who works hard at getting to be ahouse goat :).

I just went & bought hog panels Lyn as your area looked like a good idea. I'm getting my labor & delivery area all ready- got the rubber mats, am going to install the 2 security cameras & divide it with the hog panels & then we'll be all set for the next few weeks :)....unless we hjave jumpers :)

13. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Hoping this was an aberration... so far no more up there.... I still can't figure out HOW she did it...

14. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

The Lamanchas are the worst jumpers I've had. Remember Polk-A-Dot who could clear cattle panels from a flat footed stance when she was one month old?? Yeah......I remember her! :crazy All the other Lamanchas that year were jumpers too! Thankfully they all grew out of it when they got heavier. :lol

Polk-A-Dot was 1/4 Nubian, but the other 15 were pure Lamancha.

Here she was at a day old, still young and innocent.

[​IMG]

Here she was at a month old...a seasoned escapist! Although it looks like she is climbing from this angle, she is actually not touching the fence at all.

[​IMG]

And here she is as a sedate FF yearling. :lol

[​IMG]

15. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Yikes! :lol

So far I have had no jumpers... well... except yr one before we learned to build a hoop house correctly.. all my kids scaled that thing constantly! They also loved my trampoline.... {{shake}}

16. coso

coso Guest

One year I had the bright idea of using round bales to block off part of the barn for a baby pen. One morning I went out to milk and had a kid wondering around in the main barn couldn't figure out how in the world she got out. Put her back in and watched. She would run down the side of the bales, jump, hit and climb and up on top of the round bale she would be. :biggrin

17. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Coso my friend did the same thing. Used her haybarn to keep her infant kids in, she had trouble with cocci, so penned them in there. They were soon up on the top of tons of hay, falling inbetween them, she would have to unpile hay to find the trapped kids. Mine get into enough mischief without my help. Vicki

18. coso

coso Guest

Thats the truth, mine too. :biggrin