picky hay eaters

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goat girl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. goat girl

goat girl New Member

We have purchased 2 milking nubians---they are our only 2 goats besides 1 baby doe and buckling who are in a seperate pen. These goats hate our grass hay mix, but are eating alfalfa pellets--have free access to them all day. Do I need to worry about them not eating the hay--the babies do. Since the milkers are eating alfalfa pellets I haven't worried, but thought I should double ck.

Thanks
    Christine

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

They should be fine as there is more calcium in the pellets than in the grass hay...The pellets are better for them.

3. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin If there's one thing I've learned about goats....if they refuse to eat it, somethings wrong with it. You say mixed grass...if it's got loads of bermuda, they may not like it. Mine refuse to eat the very best bermuda! Tifton 44, fertilized, and bright green. You'd have thought I was trying to posion them!

Now, mixed grass, johnson,dallas, a few undetermined weeds..they take me down for.?? Go figure.
    Kaye

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Mine love it weedy also and will just gobble it up...

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

and mine eat burmuda all day long but if yours are eating alfalfa pellets then don't worry too much. I would sure smell and look at your hay for any mold/dusty