Picky does - how to change

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by shawhee, Dec 2, 2008.

1. shawhee

shawhee Member

Ok I have two newer does (they are LM's) that were on a 14% horse pellet ration. My current girls (bred but dry) are on only alfalfa pellets and free choice sudan hay and occasionally some alfalfa hay.

I am having a hard time transitioning these two does to alfalfa pellets. I was slowly switching them over, but they leave the alfalfa and will only eat the horse pellets, I have tried leaving the pellets and only giving a 1/4 cup of the horse pellets, but I fear they may not be getting enough to eat. They too have the free choice of hay. They eat the hay (even alfalfa) fine. I have horse pellets as I have 8 horses as well, but this was not my plan for my goats, as I wanted them on alfalfa pellets and then I have oats/barley/boss for the milk stand. One of the does is bred the other I need 10lbs on her to breed her this year. Any suggestions?

Shawna

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I feed my pellets free choice in a separate feeder, so they eat it when they want, kinda like the hay. Now, if you need them on feed, then I would start adding your OBB to they feed they're getting now, and then start cutting down on the horse feed and increasing the other ration, and if you need to feed the pellets on the stand, then keep those at the ammount your serving now while slowly rearranging the other feed around it.

Hope this makes sense.

Stacy

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Some horse pellets can contain as much as 25% mollassas by weight, they use dried molassas. Have you tasted one? It's why they make such an excellent first feed for kids. I would use up the bag and leave it at that, tough love and all. Vicki

4. shawhee

shawhee Member

Exactly Vicki - that is why I want them off it. That and I cant tell what is in it! I only have it for one older horse that seems to do well on it for the fat. Other than that all my horses get whole grain and alfalfa pellets along with their hay.

Ok so tough love it is. For my older one it is fine. Vicki what about the young one that I want to grow - what would you recommend feeding her?

Thanks,
    Shawna

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Young ones are fine on horse pellets and alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay. Vicki

6. shawhee

shawhee Member

Ok - thank you so much

7. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

I went through pretty much the same thing raising young does. Gave me fits. It's like Vicki says--tough love. Goats are smart. If it's in front of 'em & they need it, chances are they'll eat it. If they're getting good alfalfa & minerals & they look OK, they're OK.

Tom