phenylephrine ok for goats?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by dq, Aug 17, 2008.

1. dq

dq New Member

I have wether that has had quite a cough the past few days. He didn't have a temp (it seems to be ranging from 101-104) so I didn't want to break out the big guns right away. He stopped nursing for two days but now is again and doesn't seem to be feeling all that bad although the cough is pretty nasty sounding. Its had me scratching my head a bit. He had a snotty nose the second day but it is gone and he actually pooped out some white mucous which was really weird. I really didn't know what to make of that (no it definietly was not a tapeworm). He is 4-5 months old and bound for the barbeque pit so I am not taking any heroic measures. I have been treating him with sulmet 12.5%. And was going to give him some benadryl thinking that maybe he jsut need something to help clear the fluid a little. I have some kids "thin strips" with Diphenhydramine in it (benadryl)that would be pretty simple to administer but they also contain phenylphrine, a decongestant. My instinct is that this would be fine but....I don't want to kill the guy. at least not yet, he needs to be a bit bigger :lol

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

any childred's decongestant should be ok I us benedryl adut capsuls personally because that is what I have I also have an animal antihistomine which is called expectohist.
    104 temp is a little high I would think so if that is the case again I would use oxytetracyline a knock off of LA200 if you have it or can get it just because of the sting in LA200

3. dq

dq New Member

thank you, that gives me some peace of mind about giving him some. I have only had the 104 temp readings in the middle of the day so I couldn't decide whether it was really a fever or just the higher day time temps bumping it up a little. I will get some of the oxyteracycline, I want to have something better on hand anyway in case one of the keepers comes down with this too. All I have on hand right now is sulmet and the pennicilin combo. thanks again!