penicillin dose?? crud crud crud

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Jan 12, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK the doe that kidded last Fri night... we did the 3 days of penicillin once a day at 3cc/50lb... but did not go to the 10days and did not go to 2x a day because she did not ever run a fever higher than the herd.. her temp was low for a bit... but never high...

My dd was still checking randomly and last night reported these temps

Ginger (one who kidded) 102.6
    then 5 others... were between 101.2 and 102.8 (101.2, 101.9, 101.6, 102.8, 102.6) so she was right in line...

THIS AM Ginger is 106.2! YIKES!

the same 5 others are 100.7 (that has to be an error!) to 102.6

Sooooo

just gave Ginger 9cc pen. need to put her on 2x a day... is the dose different for 2x a day? or is it still 3cc/50lb?

2. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

ftr - she is eating fine and milking fine... grrr

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Was she running a temp when you gave her the three days of penicillin? IMO I don't do any kind of antibiotics unless they're running a temp and I don't ever do it less than 10 days, even if after the second day they seem fine. I also think that you would go to twice a day with high temps & other problems. If it was me, and you've started the meds again, I would go the full 10 days, 2x a day.
    Hopefully someone else will chime in and give you more sound advice. This is just what I would do.
    Sounds though like she's pulling your leg.. ;)

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Stacy this is the doe with the dead kid in her, the bones. I also do exactly like you did, that amount of penn every 24 hours unless they run a fever. 106 the doe should be ill, I would double check the temp again.

Honestly I would lute her, make sure she has passed everything, do a tetracycline infusion after her cervic dialates from the lute.

I have had excellent results using pennicillin 3cc per 50 pounds every 12 hours with uterine problems systemically.

Is her drainage normal? Too much is just as bad as none.

She is milking fine? Vicki

5. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK will double check temp...

milking FINE
    eating FINE
    drainage appears normal...

She was being her normal self the 90 min I just spent down there... including knocking the door down on my shoulder because she was being nosy....

6. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK temp was 102 last night {{argh}}

BUT I had already started the penecilan so do I continue the course or drop it...?

should have double checked temp BEFORE starting.

7. ellie

ellie New Member

Just FYI about penicillin...it is a threshold drug. You have to reach the right threshold in the tissue for the penicillin to do anything. You either have enough or you don't. That's because it is similar to a building block of bacteria cell walls. When you have enough penicillin in the cell wall it breaks open, killing the bacteria.

My feeling is that if you're going to use any penicillin, use it at maximum dosage for as long as maximum duration which is usually at least two days past all symptoms. Otherwise I think you risk penicillin resistance. Good luck.

Ellie
    ps, this info is covered in a chapter on how antibiotics work in Making Money With Goats because it is so important!!!