Pending births.. How do you all keep this in check?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by KUrby, Nov 3, 2007.

1. KUrby

KUrby Guest

hmm interesting!!
    k

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

The only drawback to induced labor.....MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE you know the breeding dates on your does...either hand bred or AI. No iffy's. Cause that doe IS going to kid in 24-36hrs. from the shots...regardless of her breeding date.

Our way is not recommended for people that run a buck with does, or have buck escapes. I just forget to add that when I am talking about it.
    Kaye

3. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Well ya know -- #3000 just doesn't cut it around here! :biggrin

Just kiddin' :lol-- but I think on the heavy girls maybe I wouldn't.....especially since we missed #1 by #80 darn pounds! Not that I'm bitter, mind you...ahem.

I doubt I'd notice on a doe like Hallie -- that'd be like what, 6 ounces? :lol

Tracy

4. Corky

Corky New Member

I don't trust me to know when it is time to give the drugs.

I am afraid that I would cause accidental preemie births.

Baby monitors won't work here cause I don't have nubians.
    My girls don't make a sound unless they are in full bore pushing and then it is just grunting.

I have spent many a sleepless night checking on does and have never once had a night birth. almost all late morning to early afternoon kiddings.

5. KUrby

KUrby Guest

Inducing labor...Can you give us details of how, when and why you do this way of kidding... Other than just being there for them births?
    Inquiring minds would like to know. The good the bad and the ugly and well the best sides.
    Karen

6. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

Well with my girls I tried what Vicki was doing and fed the girls at night. It worked I tell ya! If I remember correctly the majority kidded about 9am or 1pm and I had I think 3 kid in the evening but I was there for them to. Only had one girl of mine kid when I wasn't there in the early morning.

I am doing it again this year also. So out of 16 does kidding out we only had 4 not go in the morning...not bad. I WISH I could lute but alas we have to get lute through a vet and they are VERY stingy about doing that here. Not sure on the dex though.

Justine

7. KUrby

KUrby Guest

I think I will take vickis method this spring.. then we will go from there. I will get a wet buckling from her herd in the spring and then save up for my major buck.... :biggrin I best start saving now from what I hear .. LOL
    It may take 2-3 years to pay for that stinker!!(literally) :laughcry
    hmmm.. anyone have that long of a payment plan??? :groan :shocked
    Vicki has my girls and all is well... I worship the ground Vicki walks on ladies.. she is tha bomb!!
    My goats... they think they are ALL that! :goat
    (note to members---Karen thinks they are all that) shhhhh don't tell the goats.
    K

8. It is a looooong kidding season here...lol
    Mostly ours tend to be bred in groups...separated by at most three weeks to a month...on the short side I will get 3 days.
    After Vicki's wonderful knowledge, I feed my does late in the evening. Each doe's ligaments are checked and their udders goosed each time they are fed...my does learn to hate me around that time.
    I still end up with midnight kiddings, but taht happens when I miss a feeding.

Our does are wintered in the milking barn (cow). In the winter our milking cows are kept in the barn in their stanchions for their safety and to keep pipes from freezing. It stays around just above freezing temperature wise with that many bodies.
    With the cows locked in their stanchions that means they need to be fed everything and kept scraped down. Milking takes about twice as long and there is usually either myself or my father in the barn 20 + hours out of everyday. There may be about 2-3 hours total time when no one is there. We use cell phones to keep in check and always do one last check before the barn is left.
    Mostly, I drink a lot of Mt. Dew during kidding season and spend a lot of time at the barn. Which is why I lose a lot of weight in the winter...I don't eat much...

Out of 28 (?) kiddings this past season I missed two kiddings completely and arrived late (missed the first birth, there for the second) for about 3-4 more. I wasn't there for another (I was in KS) but my father was there...that one was a nightmare though.
    I knew one of doe was going to kid but I was sooo tired. I went to sleep instead.
    One of the does, Kaili, was such a sweetheart. She was due and I knew she was going to kid. I told her to please be patient since I had to go and watch my niece and nephew for three hours. That doe waited until I arrived back at the barn at 4AM (they had been fed around 3AM the morning before) to deliver her triplet bucklings.

I have to be there for each delivery, and with my jobs this past winter I had understanding bosses. Mostly though, the does co-operated.
    This year, I have fewer jobs so I am lucky in that respect. I can spend all day sitting and watching goats stretch and tease.
    I have over a dozen does due in a two day span on January 25th and 26th...that is going to be one nightmare week.

I have some awesome overalls to keep me warmer this year though....
    Good books, good comfy chair to sit in, something to drink and something to munch.
    It's a good time. I enjoy it alot, but the recovery can be hard.
    I aim to be by each FFs side as they kid. That is my taming time. Those does are my friend forever when I am there by their side through that experience. I, of course, am very aware of the does temperament and will back off if they indicate they aren't comfortable.

Our does run as a large group, are fed clipped individually, and are penned up when they are due to kid and then kept penned with any kids left on them (bucks) for two to five days depending on how well they are bonded.

9. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

For 2 weeks now I have been going out checking a boer doe every 2-3 hrs. , she is uddered up,floppy and elongated vagina ,no ligs,tail straight up over back, she's talking and pawing with some discharge ... then yesterday morning she started streaming :) .... this is it !! this is it !! it's time and she was out eating grass talking as she ate .... and then pooooow out came a big ol buck ! :( then a nice doe :) all in the daytime :)
    She is the only doe we have that eats when she kid's at the same time :)

10. KUrby

KUrby Guest

Bellestar.. You goatie new you were watching and she held out as long as she could...she didn't fool ya though!! hee hee :crazy
    (goat thinking) ..owner is watching and if I keep eating she will walk away..then I can have the kids...NOT!!
    Karen

11. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Karen, I think you are right,she worries a lot. She is also the doe that has her ear torn by our herd dog as the first year she kidded while eating out in the pasture with the herd , she kidded out the first kid and then took her foot and pawed at the kid to get it up as she was afraid of the dogs as we had lost 8 goats to wild dogs before getting the 2 pyrenese dogs and she was horrified by dogs , anyway when the kid started crying from the doe pawing at it, the dog bit her ear as the dog was gonna protect the kid... we got the doe and kid out , patched up the doe's bleeding ear and everything was fine then ... but still everytime she goes to kid , she's up ,walking eating and talking. She just had a B&D sunday and she still wont let the dogs near them and she is a loving sweet doe that the dogs kiss on her but the dogs can only clean those lil goatie butts when she is out away from the kids eating and I LOVE for the dogs to clean butts as the colostrum poops can really clump up on their butts and then I have to wash it off , I LOVE those dogs and clean lil butts :biggrin

12. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

I feed mine at night too and they kid in the day. I did that raising cattle and began doing it with my goats, knowing they too were ruminants. I rarely have kids born at night this way. Usually late morning/early afternoon.

My does "insist" I be with them at kidding. They have horrible expressions on their faces if I dare to leave them and go to the house for any reason during their labor. There are those who lick my skin off during labor and talk and talk. Like some kind of cud-chewing cats.

I hand breed and know exact due dates and also look back over my last year's records and see what day they kid on...day 149? day 151? They usually kid the same each year. A doe who kids on day 146 in year 1, again on 146 in year 2, will usually not go to 155 on the third year. So I keep tabs on all of that.

13. Feral Nature

Some of us more planning than others :blush

14. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Quote from: Astronut-1 on November 03, 2007, 09:19:24 AM
    Well, first you have lots and lots of children and you bribe them to go out and check for you
    ___
    Well I am from a family of 13 and it is usually me or my mom that go out and check on the does ;)

15. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I feed my goats at night too. I also feed them in the morning... Those of you talking about night feeding to stave off labor, do you also feed in the morning or just once a day?

Christy

16. Feral Nature

As there due dates approach, I make sure that I am putting out their fresh hay in the evenings and the largest feeding of pellets and grain. In the morning they have a feeding but not as heavy and no fresh hay unless it is frighteningly cold (rare).

That way they are kind of famished (in their minds) and pig out in the evening and go to bed full. You don't starve your goats, just make sure they have aquired an appetite by evening so don't overfeed during the day....they adjust.

17. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Just at night, I refill the alfalfa pellets and give them their grain, and refresh their grass hay. There are always some alfalfa pellets in the feeders, and grass hay and minerals and water always...but that refreshing and their grain really gives them something to ruminant through. Know it certainly works here. And yes in the mornings, they all have their heads in the feeder looking at me all forelonely. Vicki

18. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Gotcha! That is pretty much how I have doen it... Refilling at night, but they always have their pellets, hay etc.

I was pretty lucky last year I had them all kid at good times. I had on midnight kidder and I sold her. I think she kidded at a good time for her new owner--go figure ;)

19. Feral Nature

Oh, and this may have saved a doe this year. She was past "her" due date and was pushing her hind end against a fence post all day. She was just behaving oddly. Seemed to be laboring but not...just weird behavior. I decided to go in and check and she had a kid presented with it's back against the cervix. It was a difficult malpresentation to fix but she did eventually deliver 2 doelings that were fine, but assitance required.

Had I not known that this doe kidded on a certain day and that she was going past it, she and the kids may have died before I knew what happened as her signs of distress were subtle.

20. KUrby

KUrby Guest

Lot's of good reading here. I just love this site.. Ya'll are the most friendly people on a forum.. No tearing each other up, no back stabbing, at least on the forum.. :biggrin
    That's why I will continue to be an active participant on this board..
    Thank ya'll for being so nice and civil to newbies and current members alike. :thankyou
    Sincerely
    Karen