Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
16,497 Posts
I start feeding only in the evenings, this way as they go down at 10 pm with their last meal, they have to ruminate through that big rumen full of food before they could kid, this means 99% a born during the day. But I am also a big ligiment girl, I also do cervic checks to see if I have time to run to town, and I have a baby montior I carry with me. I can be sound asleep listening to the girls pregnancy moaning, and it wakes me up from a dead sleep hearing someone pushing...course the same sound is made when they are itching their backside with their big ole pregnancy stomachs.

Karen, the same things in goats and horses, the thurls have to loose their elasticity which means they loose contol over their tail head and their vulva has no muscle tone before they kid. Vicki

· Registered
16,497 Posts
I'ts just so unnatural, and will lead to hormonal problems!

Sorry having an HT moment :) I don't have any idea why I don't do that more! We used to, but it was the opposite, we kidded them out during the week while I was here and not getting ready for or going to a show on the weekend. Vicki

· Registered
16,497 Posts
Just at night, I refill the alfalfa pellets and give them their grain, and refresh their grass hay. There are always some alfalfa pellets in the feeders, and grass hay and minerals and water always...but that refreshing and their grain really gives them something to ruminant through. Know it certainly works here. And yes in the mornings, they all have their heads in the feeder looking at me all forelonely. Vicki

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.