Pasturizing w/ electric turkey fryer - more questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by 2Sticks, Jun 15, 2008.

1. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

I just got a Masterbuilt Electric Turkey Fryer to use for pasturizing milk for the kids. Am I supposed to just put the milk in the pot that the element is in (can't imagine that) or do I find another pot that will fit into it and do a water bath like I've been doing on the stove? :? Please tell me the correct way to use it. Can anybody tell that I'm electronically challenged?!

Tamera

2. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Re: Pasturizing w/ electric turkey fryer

I use mine just like the Weck. Put water in it and find a pot that fits inside the basket that comes with the Fryer. I personally do all of my colostrum in a Kitchen Kettle, by Presto, from Wal Mart 22.95

3. old dominion

old dominion New Member

One last thing, anytime I use something electric do a test run first with water and make sure what the dial says is what the element is doing. 5 degrees can ruin your batch.

Jolene

4. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Thanks Jolene,
    Thanks for the reply. That's what I figured but thought I should check just to be on the safe side.

Tamera

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yep I not only use my digital thermometer that has an alarm on it (thank Lisa?) but I also use the temp guage on the canner that the light goes out on. When in a hurry I will just turn it on high to speed things up. Vicki

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Same as Vicki second pot inside

7. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Re: Pasturizing w/ electric turkey fryer More questions.

Ok, I tried it today, but I didn't think it was anymore convient than doing it on the stove. I still used the thermometer in the inner pot. What do I set it on to get it to raise the temp of the milk to 165 and notify me by a beep or blinking light or something? When using the up and down buttons on the digital readout, it didn't give me 165 as an option.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Mine you turn the knob when the light goes out it is at temp. I always double check my temps, on the stove with two candy thermometers, or in my fryer with initially setting it with my candy thermometers, but from then on I check it with a hanging beeping thermometer you get at wallmart etc....you set the temp and when it gets to 167 or however you set yours, it beeps until you turn it off. Mine is magnetic also so it attaches to the wall behind my fryer which is metal.

I like mine because I don't have to have all that milk mess in my kitchen (well right now under construction in the soap house I am back pasteurising on my stove and I hate it!!!) Although my new stove can boil water in 3 minutes so it is pretty powerful and cool to get it done so quickly! But you can feel it sucking out the $$$propane$$$ :) vicki

9. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Our turkey fryer only beeps in regarding to the water temperature not the milk temperature. Ours is a digital one that goes in 20 degree increments start at 155. We usually just set it for 200-225 water temperature and then use a thermometer in the milk itself. We have a large pot that fitsin that holds 4 gallons at a time and it takes usually about 40 min to pasteurize it at the 225 temp. My kids have forgotten it for about 3 hours once on the 200 setting and the milk never got over 170. Ours will beep when it hits the water temperature setting but thats the only time it beeps.

Ray