Pasturella vaccine

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stoneyheightsfarm, Nov 22, 2008.

1. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Might want to do a search on here. I use it and it has little to do with showing or selling animals, yes it's nice to come home from shows where others have sick animals or even deaths and I treat it with antihistimine and they are using the big gun antibiotics. And sure it is nice that when my goats go into other herds who do get pnemonia at shows, mine rarely have anything but minimal signs.

I use it because of our weather. Anything that a normal goat up in the north would fluff off, cocci, worms, menengial worm, being down after kidding, hypcalcemia...any stress, we used to have to profilactically treat for pnemonia because it was that opportunisitc here. Now...we haven't seen anything in years, it's directly related to not only vaccination, but in the use of colostum from these vaccinated older does who have fluffed off the runny nose after a show that others had grave illness from.

What I do is about overall herd health. Vicki

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

When is the time to give This vaccine? 4 weeks prekidding? or is this an After kidding vaccination?

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sherrie I give a few of my older does this prekidding, my colostrum cows :) The rest of the herd is vaccinated in the spring before show season starts. I do my juniors before I breed them. Vicki

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Thanks Vicki! : )