pasture vs hay or pellets. photos added

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by SherrieC, May 29, 2008.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Do you suppose, since I have so much pasture vs animals on it. maybe 13 goats total, on a large area 15 main acres they stick to I think I'm terrible at judging acres. and since we are drownding in milk. would it Hurt them to just eat pasture and the milkers grain on the stand. So I could concentrate $$ on getting good alfalfa up for winter. Pellets are now almost $14 a 50 lb bag. We have tons of baby bull head thistles and Nettles I wonder how much calcium is in there? should I take it slow and watch their weight? will they collapse into fits of milk fever? I think their is timothy in the field as well. In indiana the cold temperatures have farmers re planting the corn fields or moving to sowbeans for the replant. that's not gonna help corn prices either. argh I think we may well see this fall $ 24 for a bag of alfalfa pellets, and $ 12 for a bale of quality alfalfa. $ 12 for whole corn. On my way out to walk the girls down to the far pasture I stayed home sick today from the farmers market, I've got broncitis, so I'm paying the girl to work today and tomorrow. Hope I can wheeze back up the hill. :rofl
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Sharing a drink with a friend.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Re: pasture vs hay or pellets.

I don't really know but without alfalfa their milk production will drop drastically.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I am going to do the opposite with these mini's I am getting. I am going to pasture them, feed them grass hay and alfalfa pellets...part of their 3 pounds of alfalfa pellets per day will be fed on the milkstand. Course I don't pay but $8.30 per 50 pounds. Vicki

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

well It hasn't dropped so far and We do have plenty of milk, alfalfa we don't have plenty of at the time being. I have been giving them the heavy milkers who take me so long to milk a lb of pellets after they finish their grain.
    Vickie are you going to discontinue the grain in favor of pellets in the minis?

5. NubianSoaps.com

Yes. I am going to find oat hay if it kills me and use this grain hay for the end of pregnancy and the begining of lactation then once it's gone they will be back to this diet. I know it will work on them. I am down to just show stock in Nubians now, but if I was keeping brood stock I also would be using this diet on them. I friend of mines stock was on this and they looked and milked wonderfully. But grain on the milkstand does give us that bloom we need to show well.

How about keeping your very competitive stock on grain on the milkstand only? Vicki

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Yes I'm tryng to get weaned down to just showable stock. I may even sell my finished ch. I've got one more doe to kid yet. Can't decide on Niccolette she's just a brood doe but I should probably put her down instead of sell her, as she looks so good now and She's such a Spazz, she looked so bad here the first year. I'm sure at 7 she would be one of those goats who would drop over dead if moved to a new herd. Or I could sell her back where I got her, (joking) that would effectivly put her down.

7. NubianSoaps.com

Well I know I am super happy with Bab's now that she is in milk. I have ended up keeping both of her daughters from GE and selling another milker instead of sell one. I have no way of coming up and getting her or I would take her off your hands...maybe our reverse doe kid back! I also got Morticia's dry yearling Marisole back out of Pi...she is lovely! I am thinking about keeping a buck out of Bab's, the chiropractor thinks her dorsel process is an injury, it is calcified all over it, and even with two treatments it popped back into place and is exactly the same. I may udder her up, go in for the last treatments and hurry out to the sidewalk and take a photo for my website :) He is going to do two new things to her for free, but he has his doubts now that anything is going to help but surgery, which is not happening. Being first in your class and not being pulled isn't enough anymore when you are 6! But she is staying, her daughters even little are beautiful. Vicki

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

well you know it s hard to cull, and I have Capulet, and Kissie and Callie and Chammie, and I know darn well I'll want to keep does out of Kissie and Freedom, let alone the rest of them. almost my whole nubie herd is from Nicckie.

9. From what I understand from reading the goat medicine book, good grass pasture has about 18% protein, but there will still be a lack of calcium. They will still need the alfalfa, or some beet pulp. Some scource of calcium. I prefer alfalfa. They won't need as much grain to meet their protein needs, but I give them some on the milk stand. The best way to judge is in milk production and by watching to see if the health of the goats change. If they loose condition, their hair or eyes look dull, etc.... The protein content of grass pasture changes all Summer. It is greatest when lush in the spring. then, as Summer comes on the grasses toughen up and have more roughage and lignin and less protein. It's still good for the rumen, but as Summer cures the grasses, you'll need to add more grain to the diet. Unless you have an abundance of edible,leguminose weeds growing in your pasture, i wouldn't skimp on the alfalfa. :)

10. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I have for about 3 years now fed the alfalfa pellets,all stock pellets and whole oats on the stand only and pasture, when it rains there is hay that was left from winter that they are not eating . I have had no problems with milk amounts or no sickness or loss .When everybody has kidded and dry they will just mainly get pasture . Once bred and about 1 month before kidding I bring them up in a smaller area to kid and start the alfalfa,oats and pellets for strong healthy kids. As always the herd gets their routine shots,minerals and baking soda and worming.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Mine get alfalfa pellets all year long and those in milk get grain on the stand. They all either have accesses to the pastures when there is grass (coastal burmuda) and grass hay.